« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: February 22, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Top Universities: University of Cape Town

Aa Aa Aa

Hello, today I want to speak about top African universities. While there are a lot of universities all over Africa, some of them are really getting high ranks among the world's top universities. There are many websites and organizations that do such rankings, but I will speak only of one of them; "QS World University Rankings®". QS ranks the top 500 universities every year.

In 2010, the top African university is the "University of Cape Town" or "UCT" in South Africa it is ranked 161. UCT was founded in 1829, it's campus is located on a Mountain's top with an amazing panoramic view of almost all Cape Town. UCT offers a wide range of competitive academic programs as well as global interaction with the academic communities.

UCT website also includes "VULA" or "OPEN" which is an online collaboration and learning environment. Vula is a very user-friendly website; you have the choice to use it however you want. Vula contains everything an undergraduate will need, from course announcements and outline, interactive discussion forum, resource directory, full testing module and online marksheet. Vula also can be used by postgraduates as well, it can provide with information to academics with the same research interests, trainings, workshops and seminars.

UCT is a welcoming meeting space for scholars from Africa and around the world. UCT has the highest number of international students at any South African university, with a wide variety of both undergraduate and postgraduate programs.

Cape point is one-hour drive from Cape town, at Cape Point you can see where 2 oceans meet; the Indian and Atlantic oceans. A wonderful place where you can really witness the warm Indian water meeting the cool Atlantic ocean. About 800,000 individual visits Cape Point every year, so if you are ever there....Don't miss it!!

So, I guess if you are considering being an exchange student and want to take the adventure to South Africa and If you want high quality interactive learning with a great opportunity to enjoy the most beautiful outdoors, you have some great options one of them is UCT.

In later posts I will discuss with you other good universities in Africa.

And now I am interested in your university .....what is it?? ....and do know its rank??

-Cheers !!

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback