« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: March 5, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Lenses on Biology- Reignites your Passion for Science

Aa Aa Aa

Today I would like to speak to everybody interested in science; whether you are a young college student, or a young researcher, or a passionate reader who wonders about our nature, health and scientific advances. Also, I would like to remind everybody, why everyday more and more scientists are advancing technologies like stem cell and synthetic biology despite their moral controversy. Furthermore, what awaits human kind as a result of climate changes and the unprecedented surge in cancer prevalence?

Do you know that a smoker develops a new mutation for every 15 cigarettes he smokes?

Do you know that a failed heart can rebuild itself and also a blind eye can see once more!?!

Do you know what will happen to all of us if the world's temperature continues to rise?

Do you know how the synthetic DNA can help solving severe problems such as famine and energy shortage?

Do you know that a tiny microorganism in the ocean shares in controlling the oxygen and carbon content in our atmosphere and can help restore its balance?

All these questions and more are very simply discussed and explained in Nature Outlook last issues "Lenses on Biology" (this issue is fully accessed for free). In this issue five major scientists in the fields; Cancer, synthetic biology, climate change, ocean science and stem cells give us a small reminder why these sciences really matter and why you should care about them.

These five topics are short essays that I would very much recommend you to read them. I myself went through them and wrote a short summary of their content, so please feel free to surf through and I promise you that you will most definitely gain a new insight and perspective regarding these five major scientific advances.

Image Credit: by GNOME icon artists Via Wikimedia Commons

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback