Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: April 27, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Made in Africa

Aa Aa Aa
We are family !!!

The study of "Human Evolution" or human origin is the science concerned with how humans change from the original form to how we are now (physically, genetically, biologically, linguistically...). As I mentioned before, the early humans originated in Africa. Of course it is a fact that everybody knows. The story of how and why those early people left their land and travelled to Egypt's Sinai to reach Europe and Asia is still causing controversy.

Did they travel due to a decrease in food and supplies?

Did they travel to earn more land (a more territorial theory)?

Did they travel due to a decrease in female number?

Did they travel just for adventure?

Well...Whatever the reason they left Africa for, the fact is they did. And this first migration started life all over the globe. Just about 100,000 to 150,000 years ago they were replaced by modern humans. The most interesting thing is that the origin of modern human is Africa too. By modern human I mean human beings as they are known now.....in short "us" !!!

This relatively new discovery stated that modern humans originated around south -central Africa. A group of scientists studied human skulls and they found a strong correlation between the skull changes and distance from "the center of diversity" or Africa. So, skulls nearer to Africa had more similarities and less diversity while the most diversities were found between African skulls and the south American and Australian skulls. So, it depended on the duration taken to migrate to a futher distance; the further the distance, the longer the travel, the more the changes. Also, there are other genetically based studies that supports the idea that modern humans really developed in Africa.

So, wherever you are and whatever nationality you have.....we are all African in a way !!!

Image credit by hairymuseummatt via Wikimedia commons

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Right you are Khalil..we are all one big happy family

I love life and I love how everyone and everything are connected :)))

Community

But then if we go further still in time, we see that all living things on Earth have a common ancestor. So not only are all humans family, but all living things are family.

Beautiful mother nature. Literally (:

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback