« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: September 9, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Can Oceans Solve Our Water Problem ?

Aa Aa Aa

Now that we have established why we have a freshwater problem, I wonder "Why don't all the African countries use the seawater?"

Since we live on the "Water Planet", we have to look for alternatives and the first one to come to mind is "seawater" !!!

Africa is surrounded almost completely by 2 oceans (Atlantic and Indian oceans) and 2 seas (Mediterranean and Red seas). Wouldn't it be more feasible for ─at least the coastal countries─ to use these enormous sources?

First, what is the difference between "Seawater" and "Freshwater" ?

The difference between them is the concentration of salts and minerals. There is a misconception that freshwater doesn't contain any salts, but it contains some minerals and salts in low concentrations; thus it is perceived by the humans, animals and plants as acceptable and beneficial. On the other hand, seawater content is higher and thus perceived as incompatible.

Second, why does seawater have a higher content of salts despite that the water cycle starts with evaporation of seawater ─leaving the salt behind─ and freshwater rain ?

The answer is very simple..."WEATHERING" !!!

Weathering or surface erosion of mountains and rocks dissolve more salts in the water, and thus raising the salt content of oceans higher than freshwater's. This is a part of the water cycle.

So, just by decreasing this salt content, we can drink the seawater and we can easily avoid any freshwater crisis.

Well, it is not that easy...not to Africa anyways !!!

The process used to decrease the seawater salinity is known as "Desalination". Desalination is actually a number of processes that consumes a lot of energy to remove most of this salt content. Some countries are depending on it as the main drinking water source, only because they have to. These countries don't have freshwater alternatives. Desalination is an expensive process. Thus, many governments here in Africa can't add this burden over its─ already overwhelmed─ governments.

Not only is it hard for Africa, but also it is expensive for almost all countries !!!

Do you need a proof !!!

Do you know; who was the first one to think about desalinating the seawater?

Aristotle...yes it is Aristotle's idea.....yes this idea is that old ....yet nobody could consider it as a feasible answer to our freshwater problem.

I am sorry ....Desalination is not an option to all countries. Only the ones with no financial troubles and no energy problems can benefit from it.

So, I am afraid we are back to square one... Still we have a water problem !!!

I am sorry you still have to rationalize !!!

Image Credit: image by Eric Gaba (Sting - fr:Sting) via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I agree that the solar energy is a neglected major source of energy in Africa and I personally wish we can gather our efforts and start to make use of it, however until now Africa couldn't manage the initial cost for solar panels and also couldn't provide the land "THE VAST LAND" needed to build these solar fields in. Also the cost of maintenance and the lack of experience of how to take care of these solar fields at any emergency or even non-emergency situations will cast doubts in the minds of investors who might even entertain the idea of investing in solar fields in Africa’s not-so-well economic situation !!!

But once these obstacles are removed, solar desalination might play a role, However, the water problem needs a faster solution.

Community

what about solar desalination .. why don't they put it in consideration .. the solar energy in Africa is a neglected treasure

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback