« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: May 4, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Please…Have a seat!!!

Aa Aa Aa

I remember watching this movie where the star was trying to make a rocking chair and he kept on failing every time...and I asked myself "what is the big deal? It is just a chair!"

Do you know that there are a lot of factors to be calculated to make a chair?

It is a whole science in fact. It is called "Ergonomics". Ergonomics is the science concerned with creating the perfect working devices and environment to fit our human skeleton, movement and capabilities; in short it is how to make equipment like a "chair" more comfortable and healthier to use for long durations. Ergonomists study the human anatomy, the mechanical characteristics of the movements needed to perform the needed physical activity together with the cognitive behavior, the organizational structure and policies in order to be able to construct the perfect healthy socio-technical working environment.

Is it really a science?

Yes, it has been acknowledged as a science only recently, but if you go back in time you will find both the ancient Egyptians and the ancient Greeks used the laws of ergonomics thousands of years ago. There are a lot of Egyptian drawings showing the construction of the most perfect tools, equipment and showed other standards of ergonomics known now.

So to build a chair, you need to calculate serveral parameters including; the height, the length of the legs, the lumbar curve, the horizontal plane of the eye sight and plane of the palms with the arms....etc. and guess what!!!... it differs with each and every one of us. So in order to buy your perfect chair, either have it made specially for your measurements or buy a chair with as many adjustable features as possible. If the chair is ergonomic, you will never suffer any muscular strains, joint or spine problems while sitting for a long period.

Another interesting fact, did you know that the ancient Egyptians are believed to be the first to use chairs!!!

The ancient Egyptians made chairs to show great richness and glory. The chair's legs were carved as beast legs or paws because- in the ancient Egyptian belief -these legs needed to represent nature to prevent natural chaos. And it wasn't the matter of "who can afford one, can buy one"...no in fact it remained a statement of state and class for a long time until the European renaissance where anyone who can afford a chair did really buy one.

So, I got the picture now, a chair is a big deal and this actor has all the right in the world to keep calculating and failing until he reaches his perfect chair....don't you think?

Image credit by Alensha via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Thanks Naseem, you are right, if we use Ergonomics in all our lives it sure will help a lot...

the problem is that the ergonomic objects are very expensive that is why hospitals (as you mentioned) can't afford to use ergonomically designed things because at the end of the day you need to give quality treatment as cheap as possible but with the use ergonomics it will be very very expensive

So I guess the cost is still a problem...I admit that of course

Community

Nice (and funny) post, Doaa! This is a very interesting topic I always wondered why ergonomic objects were 'smarter' to use. The idea of improving tools in order to improve human lives is very striking to me and this field in my opinion is very much a science. Imagine if all hospital beds and wheelchairs were ergonomically designed to benefit and comfort the patient and speed healing!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback