« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: October 10, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Coral Reef Preservation

Aa Aa Aa

Coral reefs gardens are so wonderful to see. They have bright colors and one would love to see it first hand and not through television. That is why diving is one of the famous sports. Along the North-East corner of Africa lies the red sea that harbors wonderful coral reefs which attract divers from all over the world.

However, this amazing sport does not come without a cost!!!

Just recently scientists in Egypt have declared that the number of divers in the red sea area has reached a dangerous level. These marine scientists are concerned with the coral reefs' preservation and they are advising this number should be decreased. Because some of these coral reefs are unable to regenerate and some may die. Even the ones which might regenerate will still take many years to do so.

So how is diving affecting these coral reefs?

Let me tell you what exactly happen in diving?

When an inexperienced diver swims so close to the coral reefs, he will injure it or even sometimes kill it. Corals can be injured by touching or brushing one's body against it while swimming. Naturally, that is not the case with all types of corals; some corals just lose their color brightness, which in my opinion, is serious too. That is why, several years back these scientists started to call out for coral reef preservation. Indeed, diving in the red sea is a very important tourist attraction, but if no one controlled this issue now, unfortunately, we will be having no corals at all in a matter of few years.

I think one of the reasons we have this problem, is that divers do not know these facts about coral reefs. So, maybe we should not just limit the sport, instead, we should be informing the divers beforehand that it is dangerous to touch it or to swim so close to it.

May be you have another solution, what do you think?

Image credit: by Richard Ling via Wikimedia commons

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

ayesh ayesh ayesh

Community

I strongly agree with you Dilek, Thanks. Our world is such a wonderful place, and if we give it attention...we will make it even more wonderful :)

Community

Doaa thank u for posting as im pleased to read this. we have heard lot about issues like global warming, declined and alternative fuel resources, although they are serious in their own way BUT Caring about such things showed me that how much scientist love this world to be saved even from the worse effect of his own self. in my point of view we should pay attention towards these blessings to live a good and beautiful life in this planet.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback