« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: April 12, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

If water can tell time!!!

Aa Aa Aa

Water is the elixir of life; no animal, plant or human can live without it.

Since ancient history and to date, water is being used in many things. Since water is that essential to everything, then water can be the solution to anything. In concept, I think it is true because there have been a lot of uses to water that proved to be successful.

One of the ancient uses is water clocks. In ancient Egypt, water clocks were one of the oldest ways invented to tell time. The ancient Egyptians determined the time through calculating the amount of water flowing from one vessel to another depending on its flow rate. In other words "physics"...one of my favorite subjects.

So, I asked myself if water can tell time.... then it can do anything!!!

Can you imagine fuelling your car from the tap water !!!

Another one of the most recent uses of water is generating energy or what is known as "Hydropower". Since water is formed of 2 hydrogen atoms linked to and oxygen molecule, then through electrolysis one can generate Hydrogen which is highly flammable -but will not burn because of the water- and the hydrogen will provide the energy, in other words "chemistry"....again one of my favorite subjects. One of the inventions that were tried in the nineties was the water-fuelled cars. Despite it's limitations it can be used for short distances or it can be used in hybrid cars together with another gasoline engine.

In Africa, despite that many countries lack the drinking water supplies, many African countries depend on hydropower to generate electricity, but this time mechanically through dams. Then, I guess water represent a very powerful source of renewable energy that we all can benefit from but of course we have to use it wisely.

So by physics, by chemistry, by anything water proved to be successful, then may be now you will agree with my concept that water can be the answer to all our problems!!!

Image credit by Wiso Via Wikimedia Commons

Comments
1  Comment  | Post a Comment
Community

Water supply is indeed very useful in so many ways. That is also the exact reason why it is decreasing ever so rapidly. If we continue to utilize it like how we have been doing so all these decades, then the supply might just die down gradually before eventually resulting in a complete halt. That is why umpteen green movements have been initiated to help curb the suffering situation and many individuals and organizations alike have been proactively taking part to try and salvage the situation as a whole.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback