« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: October 14, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Can Hair Dyeing Kill !?!

Aa Aa Aa

This week I read about a very uncommon and shocking accident where a teenage girl died after she dyed her hair !?!

Are colors really that dangerous?

Throughout history, dyes have been used to denote ranks and positions. Some colors were even reserved for the higher classes. In Africa and Asia they started "Resist dyeing". Resist dyeing is the process where you prevent the dye from reaching certain parts of the fabric by using certain materials like wax, so they can produce different shapes.

So everybody loves colors, even Neanderthals used it...what is the problem with dyes?

Well !!!

There has been no problem from natural dyes. However, artificial dyes are the blamed ones. During dye manufacture a lot of chemicals are added to make it more stable, bright and permanent and some of these chemicals are not healthy. According to researches; scientist documented cases that suffered from allergic reactions, and cancer. Developing cancer will demand a life time of dyeing and/or dyeing material manipulation, but on the other hand the allergic reaction can be fatal too (that was the cause of the unfortunate accident I just mentioned).

So, returning back to natural dyes is the only solution. May be they are not that bright or permanent as the artificial ones, but they are very healthy and you can use it as long as you wish...no problem !!!

Yet there is another thing you should watch out for !!!

Naturally, It would be understandable that hair dyes and tattoos can affect our health, however, the strange thing is we can get allergy from our clothes' dyes as well...so be careful!!!

Losing a young teenage girl for hair dyes is a very harsh alarm, however, I wish that her death will not go in vain, and I hope some people will listen to her experience and quit using these HAZARDOUS chemicals.

Image Credit: by Ksd5 via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback