Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: December 12, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Father Kepler 22b

Aa Aa Aa

And finally another Earth !?!

Last week, we all read about this new discovery "Kepler 22b". Kepler 22b is not a new planet, in fact, it is a well-known planet, however, this last week, and it has been confirmed as an alternative choice for the future generations. Kepler 22b is more than twice the size of Earth, and it contains water and habitable atmosphere. The temperature is 22oC in average.

WOW...great news !?!

Then we can go now and solve all our problems...it is only 600 light years away!!!

I am not an expert, but I wanted to calculate how long it would take us to reach this planet!?!

In short, if we sent fertilized ova in the space shuttle to Kepler 22b, the great, great, great, grandsons of these ova will reach there at the age of 80 !!!

I am just joking, but 600 light years is a very long time and it will take generations to reach it. The problem is that escaping from Earth is not the solution to our problems. Or else the previously found earth-like planets, would have solved everything. One of these planets is even closer than Kepler 22b !!!

So we will be escaping our "mother Earth" and go to our "Father Kepler 22b". Will this solve the pollution problem, and the overpopulation problem? What about our sun, what about all the science and discoveries that the people worked for all over history? No more Newton's laws of gravity? And starting everything from scratch!?! Can we plant apples there for our new Newton? What if there is some sort of life there?

Not a bad idea...Father Kepler 22b......we will see !!!

Here are two Interesting astronomical websites in Africa:

Astronomy For Africa

Astronomy Africa

Image Credit: by NASA/Ames/JPL-Caltech Via Wikimedia commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

There might be another life up there..who knows !!!

and I agree that we hear about these habitable planets every now and then, and uptill now it turns out to be inhabitable...I guess we should be solving our problems and not running away from it.

Thanks a lot Marwa

Community

It's interresting .. I read about it & I was really impressed at the begining .. then I started remembering that one day they claimed that there could be life on Mars coz it's the most similar planet to earth then after some time they found it impossible .. but who knows .. may be this time it's true

I totally agree with you Doaa .. we can't leave our mother earth .. we were created to live here .. but it's amazing to discover that there is another life somewhere else !!

I always think there must be other "earths" .. this whole universe is not for us alone ..

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback