« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: December 6, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Who Can Function Better Under Stress?

Aa Aa Aa

I will start my post today with a question; who can function better under stress?

Everybody knows that people can be classified into type A personality which includes competitive individuals, and type B personality which includes the more relaxed group of people. In this scenario, I would say personality type A persons perform better under stress, because they are highly competitive, extremely busy and multitasking.

However, I want to analyze this issue further. Some scientists completely separate the two types of personality, yet, some others think that it depends on your motivation and acceptance of the task at hand. In the second opinion, no one can be completely type A or type B, but we could be considered a mixture of both, the question is which personality prevails.

So, Can a couch potato turn into a busy bee one day?

In my opinion, it is possible!!!

May be not in all scenarios, but it could happen. Once this couch potato finds his real beloved activity, he could be encouraged and he could turn his life around. In fact, I refuse the term "couch potato" and I will correct myself now and call him a "demotivated person". Because using negative remarks in front of a person is frustrating and discouraging. A man may lead a completely sedentary life until he finds the source for his motivation, or his dream and then he turns into a winning stallion and become a busy bee.

So who can function better under stress?

The answer is everybody can easily function under stress. First, you will have to find your stimulus, and then you will see it for yourself. There are so many examples around us, you might know a person who never leaves the house, have no friends and is a computer genius, just give him a computer-related task and he is on fire. Another might spend most of his life thinking that he can't do anything and one day he starts a blog and the next thing you know, his blog becomes an internet sensation. Also, how many writers were only known after their thirties or forties, only because they found their passion and managed to write their masterpiece...etc

So, whichever personality are you, look back at your life and you might remember an event or a project that ignited your enthusiasm and try to conjure up this spirit. I always vote for "never give up, never lose hope", however most importantly "Never lose faith in yourself"

Here in the Psychological Society of South Africa website, you can find a lot of information about human psychology. Also you can subscribe for their newsletter and you can find all the details for the upcoming congress "The 30th International Congress of Psychology" that will be held in Cape Town South Africa.

Image Credit by Daniel Johnson via Wikimedia Commons

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Thanks Eucharia, I like your word "muse"...exactly the right word...when he finds his muse, he will definitely change from B to A ...and I also can't really stand the term "couch Potato" that is why I brought it up ...thanks again :)

Community

Yes i quite agreed with your classification dearie. And everybody can be on both sides depending on when you find your muse. No one is completely a couch potato is good your changed that, only that that so called demotivated person is yet to find his muse.

Community

Nice cassification Marwa...may be...life is full of examples :)

Community

Thanks Doaa for that amazing post .. I loved your words "never give up, never lose hope" .. "Never lose faith in yourself"

I like your classification very much but I think it should be a linear scale with two extremes with the competitive people at one end & the very relaxed ones at the other ..
I agree with you that the task in hand can make a great difference, but it can't get you from one extreme to the other ..

I think it is impossible to get from A to B or vice versa .. you can get from A or B to somewhere in the middle "considering a linear scale" .. OR you can get to A or B if your personality is already in the middle !!!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback