« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: May 14, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

The Last Wonder

Aa Aa Aa

Currently is a very special time to all Egyptians, this month starts in Egypt the first - ever - presidential elections. For the first time since the period of the pharaohs, Egypt finally returns to the Egyptians again. Most of major empires have occupied Egypt for a period of time, you name it they were here, and for the past few years...WELL.... you know !!!

I am really proud of sharing in this historic election, for the first time in my entire life!!!

So, living through this high Egyptian spirit, I would like to speak about something Egyptian...like...the pyramids!

Question 1: How were the pyramids built?

In 2006, a group of scientists revealed a new discovery; they examined the pyramids' stones and proved that these huge stones were actually built up at the pyramids' site and were not dragged from other places. The researchers examined samples under electron microscopy, and they discovered that the constitution of these stones contains more submicron silica-based spheres and water than any original limestone in the same area. From this discovery they deduced that these stones were actually molded and heated to very high temperatures that lead to the formation of a volcanic-like stones. This idea was originally hypothesized by the French archeological Professor Joseph Davidovits back in the 1980s, however, no body proved it before.

Question 2: Why was the pyramids' built?

First, it was thought to be just a pharaoh's tomb, but why hasn't it got any hieroglyphic writings or Pharaonic inscriptions like the other grandeur Pharaonic tombs, then the pyramids' geographical and astronomical values were discovered, so it was considered as an astronomical observatory, the fact is up till now no one really knows the actual purpose behind building these pyramids.

Question 3: Can we now build a similar pyramid?

The answer would be ....NO!!

Because simply, how can you build something, you are still researching and discovering!!!

And about the NOVA pyramid, it was just 6 meters high and 9 meters wide, and it was just made to test the mechanism of the pyramid's building (the old mechanism of stone dragging). Besides, it has no passages, champers, geographical or astronomical value.

Furthermore, NASA's satellite infra-red images, showed a possible 2 hidden champers in the great pyramid....so I guess, if we could understand the purpose behind building these magnificent structures and what is the exact purpose behind this triangular structure, may be one day we will be able to replicate it!!!

Question 4: And that was actually one of the funniest questions that I have ever heard; "Do the pyramids still exist?"

My answer was, hahaha...they sure do!!!

For me it seemed like a funny question at first, and then when I thought about it; it is actually a very logic question. All the other world wonders are now gone, only the pyramids still standing up high. And also, under normal physical rules, everything on earth is subjected to wear and tear; so it is only logic that one day it should be eroded or destroyed, so why didn't it happen?

Well, there are some erosional signs found, however, the pyramids' maintenance groups work around the clock to preserve it. Also, we are not doing that alone, in fact, the pyramids are part - as you know- of the UNESCO's World heritage, so scientists from all over the planet share in this preservation process.

Question 5: How many pyramids are there in Egypt?

Just last year, 17 new pyramids were discovered, so by now we have over 100 pyramids!!!

Finally, as a child, I used to play on the pyramids' platform a lot, because I was actually living 3 kilometers away, however, it never occurred to me how lucky I am to have seen them. One can follow up in magazines and really know what is recently discovered over there, but trust me it is not like being there... Pictures underestimate them!

You should stand there at the bottom of these miraculous wonders and really feel the stones and see how huge they are and how magnificient these pyramids are!!

So, do the pyramids still exist !?!

Yes and they are still wonder-full.....Now I will leave you with a question that I tried to answer but I couldn't find any answer for it

Question 6: Why were the Pyramids built on this particular spot?

There are a lot of pyramids as I have just noted, and most of them are around the main Three Pyramids, so, why there, and what purpose lies behind the differences in size, are they all somehow connected to one main purpose; for example, could these smaller pyramids construct a multi-locational space observatory? or maybe they correspond to some planetary alignment?

Image Credit by Doaa Tawfik

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Yes, the pyramids teach us something new every now and then, and I agree with you, there will be more to them :)

Community

Thank you doaa for this extraordinary article .. I think the wonders of Egypt never end .. especially pyramids

I believe it's a miracle & we will keep revealing a secret after another just to see how great our ancestors were

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback