« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: October 7, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Ocean Killer !!!

Aa Aa Aa

As the freshwater problem all over the planet is getting serious, it is very important to know that there are problems in saltwater as well !!!

Marine life is endangered, not only that we have many of marine life about to be extinct, but also the ocean has other problems !!!

And once again, these problems are due to pollution !!!

The global warming is causing the icebergs to melt and thus the ocean levels are rising on one hand. And on the other hand, the ocean water temperature itself is also rising. This temperature rise endangers the marine life further more than it already is.

However, these problems are well-known to everybody. Surely, these problems are dangerous but they are not the real marine life KILLER!?!

The Killer is...Acidification !!!

Recently scientists started discussing ─a sort of ─ a new problem. This problem is called "Ocean Acidification". Ocean acidification is the phenomenon where the oceans' PH is decreasing because of global warming. The increased level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is casting its shadow on the oceans as well.

Naturally, one of every four atmospheric carbon dioxide particles is dissolved in the ocean. Thus, this is an ordinary phenomenon, but according to a recent study, it is ten times faster than ever. So 55 million years ago when there was a mass extinction in the marine life, the PH wasn't even close to what we have right now !?!

Imagine what will happen to the marine life with the current PH?

If you can't imagine it, I suggest you poor some vinegar in a fish tank and watch !!!

Hey ... WAIT...never do that please !!!

Nevertheless, I am greatly proud that Africa is not one of the major carbon dioxide emitter. I knew this from an interesting report that I came across.

Finally, it is a global responsibility to save our oceans. I guess all our problems will be solved once we decrease the pollution level...or it is just a dream that I hope we can one day achieve.

Earth with clear skies, clear oceans and wonderful climate !!!

Image credit: for Csörföly D via Wikimedia commons

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I agree with you Marwa, which get started right away, fight global warming will solve many issues and not only the acidification problem..I agree

Community

Thanks Doaa for that great article .. it is my 1st time to hear about ocean acidification .. it is really a serious issue

But i think we have to deal with main cause .. global warming .. & then all the problems caused by it will be solved simultaneously ..

It needs a great effort, no body denies that it is a long way but we have to get started ..

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback