Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: February 28, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Africa’s Languages

Aa Aa Aa

Salut .... Comment ca va?

Today I would like to speak about languages. When you plan on traveling somewhere new, the first thing that comes to mind is the language. Will I be able to communicate with the new people around me? Will I be able to go shopping easily? Will I understand everything around me in my new workplace?

Well !!! when it comes to Africa, the answer is really easy..... YES, YOU CAN !!!

Do you know how many languages are spoken here in Africa? A LOT... some agencies will say over 800 languages, others say more than a thousand and others say over TWO THOUSAND languages. Can you believe it? this is our thing, I don't think it is true for any other continent, I dare you ??.... I guess we are RICH !!

Among these spoken languages "Africaans, Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Swahili, Spanish .....Sorry do have time!!, these are WELL spoken right here!!! The fun thing is that most of these languages are imported from outside Africa during the times of occupation. So, the odds are you will most probably find someone who speaks your own language ..... SWEET Huh!!

I guess these languages cover a very vast area of the world....modestly. Also, educated people in Africa are almost all multilingual; they master at least 2 languages fluently and may be one or two on the side. I think that was will demonstrated in the recent revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt and currently in Lybia where the protesters were carrying banners and signs in different languages to speak to the whole world....I guess all of you watched that.

Alors !! there is no language barrier right here, Just come, Please do, we welcome all of you. I for one love tourists and like making new friends all the time. You know!! Here in Egypt in some places you will find more tourists than Egyptians !!!

So do you still think your language is not here, I dare you!! What language do you speak??

-Adiós !!!

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Woow Tawfik, you are getting us to talk to each other. Thank you very much. I also wander this African language stuff. Don't u wander why the AU decided to use only 4 languages of those 3 are foreign originated. May I recommend at least 2 of African origin "The Oromos' and The Swahili" 2nd most widely used languages in africa and of the African origin is tho Oromo language. Isn't it.

Community

:D Proud of being african!! Doaa, maybe we can say that even in the same one language we can find a DIVERSITY, hhhh! "Arabic" for example: your egyptian arabic is different from my Algerian one ;) right?!

Community

of course Radwa, also learning new languages helps the brain activity and delays the onset of Alzehimers disease, so I guess we are all for fighting Alzehimers :))))

Community

A proud native speaker of Arabic, with English and German on the side. You couldn't be any more right :] I think in Hurghada, you are more likely to meet tourists than you are, meeting Egyptians!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback