« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: March 3, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Be a good example

Aa Aa Aa

In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that a portion of our society is greatly moved by emotions (a president reminding his people with the old days and a PM also using the same card). I believe that is very popular not only in North Africa but may be all over many parts of the world. This is the main reason that makes me more and more convinced with the importance of soft skill and personal development.

I am thinking of using this platform to gather up everybody who is interested in this matter and start integrating our ideas, efforts and thoughts and use it more effectively. I have read your ideas and I find them very logic and well organized, this is a great opportunity to start building up our foundation. Also, I would like to share my ideas as well so we can come up with our agenda. Oops I am sorry I don't mean "agenda" I know the word is getting a bad reputation nowadays ....so let's say our plan:

• Promoting for the concept of cooperation with everybody young or old, and to abandon the concept of "older is wiser". I guess the recent revolutions proved that the youth has a great power and wonderful perceptions, so, listen actively to younger individuals.
  • Personal development and professional thinking are very important. Thus, discussing different personal skills like strategic work skills, leadership, technical skills and their implementation and integration in our daily activities.
  • Promoting for "reading"...I second that...I suggest we can choose a book every month and discuss it together.
  • Attending all the possible seminars, lectures or meetings and also joining online communities that have a close mission, and share with us those gatherings so we all can benefit.
  • Abandoning the concept "I am right" and know that there are no angels or demons amongst us, people make mistakes so you can be either right or wrong just admit it and be always open to argue your point of view clue to clue and evidence to evidence.

Of course all the ideas will be put for voting and we shall choose the ones that we can start with and may be putting cornerstones to different levels. I call on everybody to be a part of this team; I would like this team to be:

1. "Diverse"....students, scientists, faculty members, writers, journalists, businessmen ...everbody can share their opinions, points of view and experiences and all are welcome to implement our experiment in their work environments.
  2. "Welling".... To share in the development of our youth and country by their time and effort and welling to carry the plan along till reaching our goal.
  3. "Active".... In sharing experiences, knowledge and efforts to strengthen personal competencies and skill integration in the real life.
  4. "Optimistic".... As there are two ways to look around; either through the "eyes of a bee" and see everything beautiful and possible or through the "eyes of a fly" and see everything bad and destructive.

Anyone can participate and implement our aims and vision in their work place or even among friends. I also call out for our first vote to be with us and participate in our team. My call is for everybody from everywhere, be the example in your community, be the active person in your circle, be with us

Image creidit lumaxart (Wikimedia Commons)

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback