A quantum processor can be used to exploit quantum mechanics to find the prime factors of composite numbers1. Compiled versions of Shor’s algorithm and Gauss sum factorizations have been demonstrated on ensemble quantum systems2, photonic systems3, 4, 5, 6 and trapped ions7. Although proposed8, these algorithms have yet to be shown using solid-state quantum bits. Using a number of recent qubit control and hardware advances9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, here we demonstrate a nine-quantum-element solid-state quantum processor and show three experiments to highlight its capabilities. We begin by characterizing the device with spectroscopy. Next, we produce coherent interactions between five qubits and verify bi- and tripartite entanglement through quantum state tomography10, 14, 17, 18. In the final experiment, we run a three-qubit compiled version of Shor’s algorithm to factor the number 15, and successfully find the prime factors 48% of the time. Improvements in the superconducting qubit coherence times and more complex circuits should provide the resources necessary to factor larger composite numbers and run more intricate quantum algorithms.
At a glance
- 124–134 (IEEE, 1994). Proc. 35th Annual Symp. Foundations of Computer Science
- Experimental realization of Shor’s quantum factoring algorithm using nuclear magnetic resonance. Nature 414, 883–887 (2001). et al.
- Experimental Demonstration of a compiled version of Shors algorithm with quantum entanglement. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 250505 (2007). et al.
- Demonstration of a compiled version of shors quantum factoring algorithm using photonic qubits. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 250504 (2007). , , &
- Shor’s quantum factoring algorithm on a photonic chip. Science 325, 1221 (2009). , &
- Factorization of numbers with the temporal Talbot effect: Optical implementation by a sequence of shaped ultrashort pulses. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 030202 (2008). , , &
- Gauss sum factorization with cold atoms. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 030201 (2008). et al.
- Quantum phase measurement and Gauss sum factorization of large integers in a superconducting circuit. Phys. Rev. A 82, 042317 (2010). &
- Superconducting quantum bits. Nature 453, 1031–1042 (2008). &
- Generation of Fock states in a superconducting quantum circuit. Nature 454, 310–314 (2008). et al.
- Violation of Bell’s inequality in Josephson phase qubits. Nature 461, 504–506 (2009). et al.
- Generation of three-qubit entangled states using superconducting phase qubits. Nature 467, 570–573 (2010). et al.
- Preparation and measurement of three-qubit entanglement in a superconducting circuit. Nature 467, 574–578 (2010). et al.
- Tripartite interactions between two phase qubits and a resonant cavity. Nature Phys. 6, 777–781 (2010). et al.
- Quantum process tomography of two-qubit controlled-Z and controlled-NOT gates using superconducting phase qubits. Phys. Rev. B 82, 184515 (2010). et al.
- Implementing the quantum von Neumann architecture with superconducting circuits. Science 334, 61–65 (2011). et al.
- Dressed collective qubit states and the Tavis–Cummings Model in Circuit QED. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 083601 (2009). et al.
- State tomography of capacitively shunted phase qubits with high fidelity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 050502 (2006). et al.
- 2000). & Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- Elementary gates for quantum computation. Phys. Rev. A 52, 3457–3467 (1995). et al.
- High-fidelity gates in a single Josephson qubit. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 247001 (2008). et al.
- Reduced phase error through optimized control of a superconducting qubit. Phys. Rev. A 82, 042339 (2010). et al.
- Demonstration of two-qubit algorithms with a superconducting quantum processor. Nature 460, 240–244 (2009). et al.
- Entanglement sharing in the two-atom Tavis-Cummings model. Phys. Rev. A 68, 062316 (2003). , , &
- Efficient networks for quantum factoring. Phys. Rev. A 54, 1034–1063 (1996). , , &
- Shors quantum algorithm using electrons in semiconductor nanostructures. Phys. Rev. A 83, 012302 (2011).
- Synthesizing arbitrary quantum states in a superconducting resonator. Nature 459, 546–549 (2009). et al.
- = 3×5. PhD thesis, Univ. California (2012). Computing prime factors on a Josephson phase-qubit architecture: 15
- Comparison of quantum and semiclassical radiation theories with application to the beam maser. Proc. IEEE 51, 89–109 (1963). &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.5191 (2012). et al. Time resolved collective entanglement dynamics in cavity quantum electrodynamics. Preprint at
- Entanglement of a pair of quantum bits. Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 5022–5025 (1997). &
- Classification of mixed three-qubit states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 040401 (2001). , , &
- Measuring two-qubit gates. J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B 24, 172–183 (2007). et al.