« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: August 5, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Frgh Brxu Olih

Aa Aa Aa

Don't you think it would be cool to have a secret language between you and your friends!!!

Cryptography is the study or the science behind hiding information. Encryptions and hidden texts were used for centuries.

It is thought to have been used in ancient Egypt. Some of the ancient Egyptian writings were used as hidden text mainly for the amusement of the literal elite.

Most of the cryptographies were used for military purposes. There are a lot of cryptography techniques starting from substituting letters to the most complicated forms of digital cryptographies.

Some of you might think that they have never used any technology using cryptography. Well you are absolutely mistaken. We use it every day with computer binary alphabet, digital signatures, passwords and ATM cards. Cryptography nowadays is a very complicated science. Africa just like the rest of the world is greatly concerned with cryptography. One of the known African conferences "Africa Crypt" is held annually to keep tract on the recent advances in this science.

But today I would like to speak only about "Caesar Cipher". It is a very old and very primitive technique, but I like it. It is said that it had been used by Julius Caesar to protect messages of military significance. It is very simple yet very intelligent. He only shifted the alphabet 3 letters, so it starts by "D" which represents "A" (See the second figure below).

So to make it easier...the letters will be as follows:

Example:

Hw wx, Euxwh !!!......

Try to decipher it by yourself then you can see the right message below (press and hold left click and sweep it down)

Et tu, Brute !!!

I guess this was his last message :)

Now you can decipher the article title !!!

Being able to use a unique language that only our closest friends understand is marvelous. As I said the study of cryptography ranges from very simple to highly complex. You can easily invent your cipher and then you can have your own communication that will be only yours. I have a hidden text for you below, can you read it?

Have a Great day my friends... make your own language today.....:)))

(to read the line above → put your cursor at the end of the above paragraph → press and hold your left click and sweep it down).

Image Credit: Encryption Decryption by MichaelDiederich and Caeser3 by Cepheus

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback