Sympathetic cooling with ultracold atoms1 and atomic ions2 enables ultralow temperatures in systems where direct laser or evaporative cooling is not possible. It has so far been limited to the cooling of other microscopic particles, with masses up to 90 times larger than that of the coolant atom3. Here, we use ultracold atoms to sympathetically cool the vibrations of a Si3N4 nanomembrane4, 5, the mass of which exceeds that of the atomic ensemble by a factor of 1010. The coupling of atomic and membrane vibrations is mediated by laser light over a macroscopic distance6, 7 and is enhanced by placing the membrane in an optical cavity8. We observe cooling of the membrane vibrations from room temperature to 650 ± 230 mK, exploiting the large atom–membrane cooperativity9 of our hybrid optomechanical system10, 11. With technical improvements, our scheme could provide ground-state cooling and quantum control of low-frequency oscillators such as nanomembranes or levitated nanoparticles12, 13, in a regime where purely optomechanical techniques cannot reach the ground state8, 9.
At a glance
- Production of two overlapping Bose–Einstein condensates by sympathetic cooling. Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 586–589 (1997). , , , &
- Sympathetic cooling of trapped ions: a laser-cooled two-species nonneutral ion plasma. Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 70–73 (1986). , , , &
- Translational cooling and storage of protonated proteins in an ion trap at subkelvin temperatures. Phys. Rev. A 78, 061401 (2008). , , , &
- Strong dispersive coupling of a high-finesse cavity to a micromechanical membrane. Nature 452, 72–75 (2008). et al.
- Cavity optomechanics with stoichiometric SiN films. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 207204 (2009). , , &
- Optical lattices with micromechanical mirrors. Phys. Rev. A 82, 021803 (2010). et al.
- Realization of an optomechanical interface between ultracold atoms and a membrane. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 223001 (2011). et al.
- Cavity-enhanced long-distance coupling of an atomic ensemble to a micromechanical membrane. Phys. Rev. A 87, 023816 (2013). et al.
- Coherent control and feedback cooling in a remotely-coupled hybrid atom–optomechanical system. New J. Phys. 16, 083036 (2014). , , , &
- Coupling ultracold atoms to mechanical oscillators. C. R. Physique 12, 871 (2011). et al.
- 327–351 (Springer, 2014). , , , & in Cavity Optomechanics (eds Aspelmeyer, M., Kippenberg, T. & Marquardt, F.)
- Nanoscale temperature measurements using non-equilibrium Brownian dynamics of a levitated nanosphere. Nature Nanotech. 9, 425–429 (2014). , , &
- Cavity optomechanics. Rev. Mod. Phys. Preprint at http://arXiv.org/abs/1303.0733 (2013). , &
- Quantum optomechanics. Phys. Today 65, 29 (July, 2012). , &
- Quantum ground state and single-phonon control of a mechanical resonator. Nature 464, 697–703 (2010). et al.
- Sideband cooling of micromechanical motion to the quantum ground state. Nature 475, 359–363 (2011). et al.
- Laser cooling of a nanomechanical oscillator into its quantum ground state. Nature 478, 89–92 (2011). et al.
- Quantum-coherent coupling of a mechanical oscillator to an optical cavity mode. Nature 482, 63–67 (2013). , , , &
- Magnetic resonance in an atomic vapor excited by a mechanical resonator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 227602 (2006). et al.
- Resonant coupling of a Bose–Einstein condensate to a micromechanical oscillator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 143002 (2010). et al.
- Nanoscale magnetic resonance imaging. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106, 1313–1317 (2009). , , , &
- A single nitrogen-vacancy defect coupled to a nanomechanical oscillator. Nature Phys. 7, 879–883 (2011). et al.
- Coherent sensing of a mechanical resonator with a single-spin qubit. Science 335, 1603–1606 (2012). et al.
- Strain-mediated coupling in a quantum dot–mechanical oscillator hybrid system. Nature Nanotech. 9, 106–110 (2013). et al.
- Hybrid circuit cavity quantum electrodynamics with a micromechanical resonator. Nature 494, 211–215 (2013). et al.
- 2009). & (eds) Cold Atoms and Molecules (Wiley,
- Atom–membrane cooling and entanglement using cavity electromagnetically induced transparency. Phys. Rev. A 84, 051801 (2011). , , &
- Establishing Einstein–Poldosky–Rosen channels between nanomechanics and atomic ensembles. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 020501 (2009). , , &
- Opto-nanomechanics strongly coupled to a Rydberg superatom: coherent versus incoherent dynamics. New J. Phys. 16, 063042 (2014). , , &
- Coulomb-crystallised molecular ions in traps: methods, applications, prospects. Int. Rev. Phys. Chem. 31, 175–199 (2012).
- Hybrid optomechanical cooling by atomic λ systems. Phys. Rev. A 90, 033838 (2014). , , , &
- Trajectories without quantum uncertainties. Preprint at http://arXiv.org/abs/1405.3067 (2014). &
- Supplementary information (392 KB)