Two-dimensional (2D) transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs) are emerging as a new platform for exploring 2D semiconductor physics1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reduced screening in two dimensions results in markedly enhanced electron–electron interactions, which have been predicted to generate giant bandgap renormalization and excitonic effects10, 11, 12, 13. Here we present a rigorous experimental observation of extraordinarily large exciton binding energy in a 2D semiconducting TMD. We determine the single-particle electronic bandgap of single-layer MoSe2 by means of scanning tunnelling spectroscopy (STS), as well as the two-particle exciton transition energy using photoluminescence (PL) spectroscopy. These yield an exciton binding energy of 0.55 eV for monolayer MoSe2 on graphene—orders of magnitude larger than what is seen in conventional 3D semiconductors and significantly higher than what we see for MoSe2 monolayers in more highly screening environments. This finding is corroborated by our ab initio GW and Bethe–Salpeter equation calculations14, 15 which include electron correlation effects. The renormalized bandgap and large exciton binding observed here will have a profound impact on electronic and optoelectronic device technologies based on single-layer semiconducting TMDs.
At a glance
- Atomically thin MoS2: A new direct-gap semiconductor. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 136805 (2010). et al.
- Emerging photoluminescence in monolayer MoS2. Nano Lett. 10, 1271–1275 (2010). et al.
- Control of valley polarization in monolayer MoS2 by optical helicity. Nature Nanotech. 7, 494–498 (2012). , , &
- Valley polarization in MoS2 monolayers by optical pumping. Nature Nanotech. 7, 490–493 (2012). et al.
- Valley-selective circular dichroism of monolayer molybdenum disulphide. Nature Commun. 3, 1882 (2012). et al.
- Optical generation of excitonic valley coherence in monolayer WSe2. Nature Nanotech. 8, 634–638 (2013). et al.
- Strong light–matter interactions in heterostructures of atomically thin films. Science 340, 1311–1314 (2013). et al.
- Tightly bound trions in monolayer MoS2. Nature Mater. 12, 207–211 (2013). et al.
- Direct observation of the transition from indirect to direct band gap in atomically-thin epitaxial MoSe2. Nature Nanotech. 9, 111–115 (2014). et al.
- Quasiparticle band structure calculation of monolayer, bilayer, and bulk MoS2. Phys. Rev. B 85, 205302 (2012). &
- Large excitonic effects in monolayers of molybdenum and tungsten dichalcogenides. Phys. Rev. B 86, 115409 (2012).
- Effects of confinement and environment on the electronic structure and exciton binding energy of MoS2 from first principles. Phys. Rev. B 86, 241201 (2012). &
- Optical spectrum of MoS2: Many-body effects and diversity of exciton states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 216805 (2013). , &
- Electron correlation in semiconductors and insulators: band-gaps and quasi-particle energies. Phys. Rev. B 34, 5390–5413 (1986). &
- Electron–hole excitations and optical spectra from first principles. Phys. Rev. B 62, 4927–4944 (2000). &
- Single-layer MoS2 transistors. Nature Nanotech. 6, 147–150 (2011). , , , &
- Extraordinary sunlight absorption and one nanometer thick photovoltaics using two-dimensional monolayer materials. Nano Lett. 13, 3664–3670 (2013). , &
- Extraordinary room-temperature photoluminescence in triangular WS2 monolayers. Nano Lett. 13, 3447–3454 (2013). et al.
- The optical resonances in carbon nanotubes arise from excitons. Science 308, 838–841 (2005). , , &
- Excitons in nanoscale systems. Nature Mater. 5, 683–696 (2006). &
- Electron states of mono- and bilayer graphene on SiC probed by scanning-tunneling microscopy. Phys. Rev. B 76, 041403 (2007). et al.
- p-type Bi2Se3 for topological insulator and low-temperature thermoelectric applications. Phys. Rev. B 79, 195208 (2009). et al.
- Tunneling spectroscopy of the GaAs(110) surface. J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 5, 923–929 (1987). &
- Electrical control of neutral and charged excitons in a monolayer semiconductor. Nature Commun. 4, 2498 (2013). et al.
- BerkeleyGW: A massively parallel computer package for the calculation of the quasiparticle and optical properties of materials and nanostructures. Comput. Phys. Commun. 183, 1269–1289 (2012). et al.
- Physical origin of satellites in photoemission of doped graphene: An ab Initio GW plus cumulant study. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 146801 (2013). , &
- Atomic-scale structure of single-layer MoS2 nanoclusters. Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 951–954 (2000). et al.
- Direct imaging of band profile in single layer MoS2 on graphite: Quasiparticle energy gap, metallic edge states, and edge band bending. Nano Lett. 14, 2443–2447 (2014). et al.
- Scanning tunneling spectroscopy of inhomogeneous electronic structure in monolayer and bilayer graphene on SiC. Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 122102 (2007). et al.
- Role of pseudospin in quasiparticle interferences in epitaxial graphene probed by high-resolution scanning tunneling microscopy. Phys. Rev. B 86, 045444 (2012). et al.
- WSXM: A software for scanning probe microscopy and a tool for nanotechnology. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 78, 013705 (2007). et al.
- Supplementary Information (3,838 KB)