Imagine a class without lessons, tests and homework, but with missions, quests and teamwork. Video games offer an attractive educational platform because they are designed to be fun and engaging, as opposed to traditional approaches to teaching through lectures and assignments.
At a glance
- Nat. Chem. 1, 2–4 (2009). &
- J. Chem. Educ. 91, 1804–1809 (2014). , , , &
- Comput. Appl. Eng. Educ. 21, 135–146 (2013). , , , &
- J. Chem. Educ. 87, 1159–1162 (2010). , , &
- Science 323, 50–51 (2009).
- 2003). What Video Games Have to Teach us About Learning and Literacy (Palgrave MacMillan,
- Microsoft spent $2.5 billion on Minecraft to buy the next generation of players. Polygon (15 September 2014); http://go.nature.com/2gKFsxg
- J. Sci. Educ. Technol. 17, 530–543 (2008). &
- Cinema analysts blame Halo 3 for low ticket sales. Gamasutra (16 October 2007); http://go.nature.com/2fqTLnZ
- The 2015 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry (Entertainment Software Assosciation, 2015).
- 2011). Reality is Broken (Penguin Books,
- 2015). SuperBetter (Penguin,
- Internet High. Educ. 8, 13–24 (2005).
- 2011). Learning to Play — Exploring the Future of Education with Video Games (Peter Lang,
- 2008). Flow: The Psychology Of Optimal Experience (Harper Perennial Modern Classics,
- Cognitive flow: the psychology of great game design. Gamasutra (22 March 2012); http://go.nature.com/2gk6PKW
- 2007). Good Video Games + Good Learning: Collected Essays on Video Games, Learning and Literacy (Peter Lang,
- Int. J. Game-Based Learning 1, 16–29 (2010). , &
- 2013). The Art of Failure (The MIT Press,
- 2011). in The Handbook of Research on Improving Learning and Motivation through Educational Games: Multidisciplinary Approaches (ed. Felicia, P.) Ch. 8 (IGI Global,
- A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research. In Proc. Challenges Games AI Workshop, 19th Natl. Conf. AI (Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, 2004). , &
- 2009). & The Handbook of Educational Gaming (Information Science Reference,
- 2004). Replaying History: Learning World History Through Playing Civilization III PhD Thesis, Univ. Indiana (