1. Division or resection of the external sphincter is a new operation designed to relieve retention of urine (or a high residue) in patients with an open bladder-neck and a narrow, rigid external sphincter area and in whom subarachnoid alcohol block, pudendal neurectomy or a bladder-neck resection have failed to help. The operation converts a chronic retention to an easily expressible bladder.
2. Ten patients are reported.
3. The operation technique is described.
4. During the post-operative period care is necessary in preventing or dealingwith clot-retention and with severe infection due to absorption of organisms in the urethra.
5. The operation should not be attempted in patients with grossly dilated upper urinary tracts and in those with uncontrollable infection.
6. The eight surviving patients have been spared the catheter life and, possibly, subsequent damage to the upper urinary tract.
Bors E 1956 Bulletin of the Los Angeles Neurological Society 21: 105
BORS E, Comarr A E 1954 Journal of Urology 72: 666
Damanski M, Gibbon N 1956 British Journal of Urology 28: 24
Damanski M, Kerr A S 1957 British Journal of Surgery 44: 398
Donovan H 1949 Post-graduate Medical Journal 25: 386
Gibbon N 1958 British Journal of Urology 30: 1
Ross J C 1956 Communication to the British Association of Urological Surgeons, June 1956
Ross J C 1956 British Journal of Urology 28: 14
Ross J C, Gibbon N, Damanski M 1957a Lancet 2: 520
Ross J C, Gibbon N, Damanski M 1957b Transcript of the American Association of Genito-urinary Surgery 69: 193.
Shelden C H, Bors E 1948 Journal of Neurosurgery 5: 385
Watkins K H 1936 British Journal of Surgery 23: 734
Reprinted from the British Journal of Urology, Vol. XXX, No. 2, June 1958, by kind permission of the British Association of Urological Surgeons.
About this article
Cite this article
Ross, J., Gibbon, N. & Damanski, M. Division of the external urethral sphincter in the treatment of the paraplegic bladder: a preliminary report on a new procedure. Spinal Cord 25, 185–195 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.1987.32
Surgical management of functional bladder outlet obstruction in adults with neurogenic bladder dysfunction
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2014)
URETHRAL STENT FOR THE TREATMENT OF DETRUSOR-SPHINCTER DYSSYNERGIA: EVALUATION OF THE CLINICAL, URODYNAMIC, ENDOSCOPIC AND RADIOLOGICAL EFFICACY AFTER MORE THAN 1 YEAR
Journal of Urology (2004)