Letter | Published:

Culture of Human White Cells using Differential Leucocyte Separation

Nature volume 192, pages 12141215 (23 December 1961) | Download Citation

Subjects

Abstract

SEVERAL variations of white blood cell culture methods for the purpose of human chromosome study are now in use. All these are derived from the method of Hungerford et al.1. We have used the original and some of the modified procedures, particularly that of O. J. Miller (personal communication). In our experience with these techniques, about 75 per cent of cultures produce adequate numbers of mitotic figures for examination, while the remaining 25 per cent grow poorly, if at all. It was our impression that most failures occurred in specimens containing large numbers of polymorphonuclear leucocytes. On incubation, such cultures became excessively acid, and large clumps of degenerating polymorphs appeared.

Access optionsAccess options

Rent or Buy article

Get time limited or full article access on ReadCube.

from$8.99

All prices are NET prices.

References

  1. 1.

    , , , and , Amer. J. Human Genetics, 11, 215 (1959).

  2. 2.

    , , and , J. Lab. and Clin. Med., 52, 778 (1958).

  3. 3.

    , Science, 123, 185 (1956).

  4. 4.

    , , and , Lancet, i, 852 (1961).

  5. 5.

    , Cancer Res., 20, 462 (1960).

  6. 6.

    , Arch. Exp. Zellforsch., 6, 259 (1928).

Download references

Author information

Author notes

    • KURT HIRSCHHORN

    Established investigator, American Heart Association.

Affiliations

  1. Department of Medicine, New York University Medical Center, 550 First Avenue, New York, 16.

    • JAMES HASTINGS
    • , STANLEY FREEDMAN
    • , ORLANDO RENDON
    • , HERBERT L. COOPER
    •  & KURT HIRSCHHORN

Authors

  1. Search for JAMES HASTINGS in:

  2. Search for STANLEY FREEDMAN in:

  3. Search for ORLANDO RENDON in:

  4. Search for HERBERT L. COOPER in:

  5. Search for KURT HIRSCHHORN in:

About this article

Publication history

Published

DOI

https://doi.org/10.1038/1921214a0

Further reading

Comments

By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms and Community Guidelines. If you find something abusive or that does not comply with our terms or guidelines please flag it as inappropriate.