Prof. James Norman Davidson has been appointed to the Gardiner chair of physiological chemistry in succession to Prof. G. M. Wishart. Prof. Davidson graduated in chemistry at Edinburgh in 1934, and later took the degrees of M.D. (1939) and D.Sc. (1945). During 1937–38 he worked with Warburg at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Cell Physiology. He has held lectureships in biochemistry at Dundee and St. Andrews; has been on the scientific staff of the Medical Research Council; and for the past year has been professor of biochemistry at St. Thomas' Hospital Medical School, London (see Nature, 157, 760; 1946). His research work touches on many fields, including those of carbohydrate metabolism and of the nucleic acids.