THE Staveley Coal and Iron Co., Ltd., near Chesterfield, has decided to make a gift of £50,000 to the University of Sheffield in order to promote the furtherance of research within the University and especially in the Department of Chemistry. The Company, which is concerned with the production of iron, caustic soda, chlorine, hydrochloric acid, chlorates, aniline and a wide range of basic coal-tar products, takes the view that encouragement of free chemical research in universities must, in the long run, benefit both the Company and industry as a whole, and believes that the connecting of industrial development with academic discovery is essential for national prosperity. Its gift to Sheffield is most opportune, as the provision of a new Department of Chemistry is one of the most urgent parts of the post-war plans of the University's extension scheme. It is intended to replace the existing laboratories, built in 1905, by an entirely new department which will be close to the present building of the University in Western Bank. The new building has been designed to provide adequate space for all the work in the Department when the University attains its projected number of 3,000 full-time students in all faculties, and adequate research facilities will be provided for investigations in analytical, inorganic, physical and organic chemistry. It is estimated that the cost of the erection of the new Department will exceed £400,000, and it is proposed that the research laboratories therein should be named the “Staveley Laboratories”.