AT the Fifth International Congress for Applied Mechanics held in Cambridge, Mass., in 1938, an invitation to hold the Sixth Congress in Paris in 1942 was accepted. Though it was not possible to adhera to the original date, Prof. Henri Villat and his cafflgrales started to organise the Sixth Congress as soon as the war in Europe finished. Despite great economic and other difficulties, their courageous labours were completely successful, and the Congress was held in Paris at the Sorbonne during September 22–29. About 450 members attended, including scientific people from nearly all the Allied countries as well as from Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Turkey and Spain. The British group was large, and included many young scientific workers who have been attracted to applied mechanics in the course of their war activities.