WHEN Lord Curzon, Viceroy of India, sanctioned in 1906 the institution of a Forest Research Institute, with headquarters at Dehra Dun, even so wide-visioned a man as he could not have anticipated the great benefits it was to confer on India. Even during the War of 1914–18 the imports into India of what had previously been deemed necessaries of life were curtailed, and forest research at once stepped into the breach and by the close of that War had not only established its position but had outgrown all the buildings, equipment and so forth for which provision was made by 1914, although it was considered sufficient for the next score of years. A great new building and much additional equipment was sanctioned by 1920 and has long been functioning. During the present War, in some directions the Institute has been able to answer urgent imperative calls of both Army and public. Curiously enough, although the chief branches of forestry were catered for, including utilization, which assumes such an important place in war-time, it was not until comparatively late in its existence that the importance of the minor products of the Indian forests, admittedly a sub-branch of utilization, received due recognition at the Institute—or perhaps at the hands of Government—a special branch being at length formed which has proved of the very highest value, especially in combination with the Chemical Branch, during the present War. Some of this work has already been noted in these columns. Two Indian Forest Leaflets, Nos. 60 and 64, Sylviculture (Forest Research Institute, Dehra Dun, 1944), issued recently, deal with two further products of the Indian forest.