THE annual report for the past year of the Illuminating Engineering Society, presented at the annual meeting held on May 9, directs attention to the formation of new centres in Bath and Bristol, and new groups in Derby, Huddersfield and Stockton-on-Tees. The Society is now organizing its activities through seven distinct areas, each with its own committee which in turn is represented on the areas joint committee. 243 new members have been added to the Society during the past year; the number of meetings held, upwards of sixty, exceeds that in pre-war days. Recent educational efforts include the organization of essay competitions for pupils in schools near Birmingham, and the giving of a series of Christmas lectures on "The Wonders of Lighting" to more than a thousand children in Bradford. The Society has been instrumental in forming a joint committee, with which leading physiologists are associated, to deal with the physiology of vision, and has completed, for the Ministry of War Transport, a special investigation into the brightness and legibility of traffic signs. Three of the series of illustrated lighting reconstruction pamphlets, dealing respectively with "Principles of Good Lighting", "The Lighting of Schools" and "The Lighting of Public Buildings" have recently been issued. The following officers have been elected for the present session: President, Mr. E. Stroud; Hon. Treasurer, Mr. N. V. Everton; Hon. Secretary, Mr. J. S. Dow.
Rights and permissions
About this article
Cite this article
Illuminating Engineering Society. Nature 153, 647 (1944). https://doi.org/10.1038/153647b0