THE annual report of the Institute of Physics for the year 1937, which has just been published, shows that its membership continues to increase in a most satisfactory way. It was just over a thousand at the end of the year, and is now considered to be representative of British physicists both at home and overseas. The most important activity of the Institute during the year covered by the report was the Second Conference on Industrial Physics held in the University of Birmingham in March 1937, the subject being “Optical Devices in Research and Industry”(see NATURE of April 3, 1937, p. 600). The various branches of the Institute in Great Britain held a number of meetings during the year and the committees of the overseas branches did valuable work in various ways. The report states that there was a further increase in the number of vacancies for physicists of which the Institute was notified, the figure being 197 for the year. Some vacancies for laboratory assistants were filled from among those holding the Institute's certificate in laboratory arts. The report states that the scope of the Journal of Scientific Instruments, which is produced by the Institute in co-operation with the National Physical Laboratory, has been enlarged to include items dealing with the applications of physics to industry.