Birmingham.—The vacancy caused by the retirement of Prof. F. W. Burstall from the chair of mechanical engineering has been filled by the appointment of Mr. Samuel Lees. Mr. Lees studied at Manchester College of Technology and St. John's College, Cambridge. He took the Mathematical Tripos and afterwards did research under the late Prof. B. Hopkinson, being elected to a fellowship of St. John's College in 1912. He was Hopkinson lecturer in thermodynamics at Cambridge (1919–29) and director of engineering studies at St. John's College (1924–29). Since 1929 Mr. Lees has been consulting engineer to Messrs. Silica Gel, Ltd.