BY the death of Dr. George Downing Liveing shortly after his ninety-seventh birthday, the University of Cambridge has lost the last of that small band of men who some sixty years ago set on foot the movement which proved the foundation of the present science school in that University. He was the eldest son of Edward Liveing, of Nayland, Suffolk o entering at St. John's College, Cambridge, in 1847, ne was classed as eleventh wrangler in 1850, and as the first among the six who took the Natural Sciences Tripos in 1851, the year of its creation. After a short period of work under Rammelsberg in Berlin, he became a fellow and lecturer at St. John's College in 1853. In 1860 he married Catherine, daughter of the Rev. R. Ingram, of Little Ellingham, Norfolk, and thus automatically vacated his College fellowship in accordance with the old University statutes; in the same year he became professor of chemistry in the Military College at Sand-hurst, but continued to teach in the St. John's Laboratory.