(1) THE French text-book of physical chemistry would scarcely he regarded in this country as justifying the author's description of it as “elementary.” It is essentially an exposition of the work of Willard Gibbs, with additional theorems and applications developed by the author. Although the book deals with such familiar subjects as chemical equilibrium, the laws of mass action, the phase rule, and osmosis, it does not descend to the discussion of experimental facts, and contains no illustrations of apparatus, no tables of data, and none of the usual graphical representations of equilibria. On the other hand, the mathematical treatment of the problems is very thorough and exact. The book will not he likely to attract the average chemist, who prefers to make use of theories only when they can be kept closely in touch with experiment; but a student who had taken an “honours” degree in mathematics would probably enjoy a course of chemistry in which theory reigns supreme and the limitations of experiment are thrust into the background, or perhaps postponed to a later volume of the series.
(1) Chimie Physique Elementaire.
By E. Aries. Tome Premier. Les Principes Generaux de la Statique Chimique. Pp. xxx + 212. (Paris: A. Hermann et Fils, 1914.) Price 4 francs.
(2) A Manual of Practical Physical Chemistry.
By Dr. F. W. Gray. Pp. xvi + 211. (London: Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1914.) Price 4s. 6d.
(3) Notes on Elementary Inorganic Chemistry.
By F. H. Jeffery. Pp. iv + 55. (Cambridge University Press.) Price 2s. 6d. net.
(4) The Elements of Chemistry.
By H. L. Bassett, with an introduction by Prof. W. J. Pope. Pp. xii + 368. (London: Crosby Lockwood and Son.) Price 4s. 6d.
(5) Chemical Calculations..
Pp. vi + 136. Chemical Calculations (Advanced Course). Pp. vi + 48. By H. W. Bausor. (London: University Tutorial Press, Ltd., 1914.) Price 2s. and 1s. respectively.
(6) The Fixation of Atmospheric Nitrogen.
By Dr. J. Knox. Pp. vii + 112. (London: Gurney and Jackson, 1914.) Price 2s. net.
This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution
Subscribe to this journal
Receive 51 print issues and online access
$199.00 per year
only $3.90 per issue
Rent or buy this article
Get just this article for as long as you need it
Prices may be subject to local taxes which are calculated during checkout
Rights and permissions
About this article
Cite this article
L., T. (1) Chimie Physique Elementaire (2) A Manual of Practical Physical Chemistry (3) Notes on Elementary Inorganic Chemistry (4) The Elements of Chemistry (5) Chemical Calculations (6) The Fixation of Atmospheric Nitrogen. Nature 94, 447–449 (1914). https://doi.org/10.1038/094447a0