THAT St. Andrews had not one of the oldest marine laboratories was the result of an accident. Nevertheless it has the oldest marine laboratory in Britain, since it was opened early in 1884, though since 1882 the practical laboratory in the College had been used for this purpose; and it could not well be otherwise, since it was within a stone's cast of the bay—so rich in a varied fauna and flora. For ten years the work of the laboratory has been carried on under considerable difficulties in a wooden building originally erected as a temporary fever-hospital, and the walls and roof of which were neither wind- nor water-tight. This structure was situated on a spit of sand near the harbour, and most conveniently placed for easy access to the fishing-boats and the beach; but it was on a public common, and though for nearly two years every effort has been made to get the new laboratory erected on the same site, it was found to be impracticable, and a new site was therefore chosen on University ground, about 300 yards further south, and close to the beach. This site affords ample space, and, besides, a small fresh-water stream flows through it.