Aims and scope
The Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology (JESEE) aims to be the premier and authoritative source of information on advances in exposure science for professionals in a wide range of environmental and public health disciplines.
JESEE welcomes high-quality, original research articles that further understanding of the relationship between environmental exposure and human health, describe evaluated exposure assessment tools and methods, and demonstrate application of exposure science to enable decisions and actions that promote and protect human health. JESEE also publishes perspectives, reviews and commentaries discussing major advances, trends and challenges in exposure science that highlight contributions of the field to environmental and public health.
JESEE publishes novel results and significant advances in exposure science, exposure analysis, and environmental epidemiology to understand human health impacts of the full range of environmental stressors (chemical, biological, physical, psychosocial). JESEE is particularly interested in publishing research that integrates exposure knowledge with information from across scientific disciplines to contribute solutions for the most pressing environmental and public health concerns.
Topics of interest include:
Research on understanding exposures to address critical environmental health challenges
- Climate related exposures, including impacts of exposures due to global environmental change
- Sustainable development
- Healthy buildings and the built environment
- Workplace and para-occupational exposures especially for occupational groups in the informal economy
- Links between individual or multiple environmental stressors and human health
- Early life exposure and latent disease
- Environmental justice and highly impacted communities
- Joint exposures: mixtures, co-exposures, interactions between social and environmental factors
Development and application of the latest tools and technologies for measuring and predicting exposures
- Non-targeted analysis and suspect screening
- Exposomics and environmental metabolomics
- Sensors and Internet of Things (IoT) platforms
- Remote sensing or imaging
- Mechanistic and data-driven computer modeling
- Geospatial analyses
- Data science techniques
Approaches for integrating exposure information from different disciplines to enable decisions and actions
- Understand the sources, pathways, and patterns of exposure to legacy and emerging environmental stressors
- Evaluating and ensuring quality of water, air, and food
- Considering lifecycle impacts of products and processes
- Translating advances in exposure science for risk assessment
- Preventing disproportionate exposures and reducing cumulative impacts of environmental stressors on vulnerable individuals and communities
- Addressing understudied communities and regions
- Involving impacted communities in exposure-related policies
- Informing sustainability metrics
JESEE covers a range of subject areas. To read content across the scope of the journal view the journal's subjects page here.
6 issues per year in print and online.
Article metrics such as number of downloads, citations and online attention are available from each article page, and provide an overview of the attention received by a paper.
The 2021 journal metrics* for Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology are as follows:
2-year Impact Factor*: 6.371
5-year Impact Factor*: 5.385
Immediacy index*: 1.461
Eigenfactor® score*: 0.0045
Article influence score*: 1.152
JCR Rank*: 14/93 Toxicology; 56/274 Environmental Sciences
Journal Citation Score*: 1.35
*2020 Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Clarivate Analytics, 2020)
The 2021 peer review performance metrics for the Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology are shown below:
Article page views: 457,612
Altmetric mentions: 4,161
Biology and Environmental Sciences
Current Contents/Agriculture Biology & Environmental Sciences
ISSN and eISSN
International standard serial number (ISSN): 1559-0631
Electronic international standard serial number (eISSN): 1559-064X.
Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology now provides its latest table of contents as an RSS web feed. This allows users with an RSS reader to receive automatic updates whenever new content is added to these pages.