Skip to main content

Thank you for visiting nature.com. You are using a browser version with limited support for CSS. To obtain the best experience, we recommend you use a more up to date browser (or turn off compatibility mode in Internet Explorer). In the meantime, to ensure continued support, we are displaying the site without styles and JavaScript.

How to avoid local anaesthetic toxicity

Abstract

Local anaesthetic overdose is not common in dental practice but can occur. In rare cases it can be fatal. Normally the use of good technique employing small amounts of solution limits toxicity. In addition, thorough medical history taking should forewarn the dentist of any patient who has experienced problems in the past and will also alert the operator to those few patients who exhibit idiosyncratic reactions. This article aims to offer practical advice to help avoid local anaesthetic toxicity

Authors

Rights and permissions

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Meechan, J. How to avoid local anaesthetic toxicity. Br Dent J 184, 334–335 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4809619

Download citation

Further reading

Search

Quick links