On this page: About the journal | Aims and scope of journal | Impact Factor | Abstracted/indexed in | ISSN and eISSN | Newsfeeds
About the journal
Research on antibiotics and other microbial products is pivotal to the global battle against the growing problem of antibiotic resistance. As well as the traditional research and development model of finding replacement drugs to tackle this problem, there are other important new strategies for addressing resistance which include research into bioactive microbial products.
The Journal of Antibiotics forms an integral part of this battle against resistance by encouraging and publishing original research articles that report findings of wide biological significance in the multidisciplinary field of antimicrobials. We specifically encourage articles that represent important advances in the field of antimicrobial research, including recently discovered antibiotics, bioactive microbial products and novel strategies for combating antibiotic resistance. The Journal of Antibiotics provides a dynamic platform for communicating research on microbial products and antimicrobial approaches through also including insightful and up-to-date reviews, short communications and letters to the editor.
Aims and scope of journal
The Journal of Antibiotics seeks to promote research on antibiotics and related types of biologically active substances and publishes Original Articles, Review Articles, Notes, Communications to Editor and other specially commissioned reports. The Journal of Antibiotics accepts papers on biochemical, chemical, microbiological and pharmacological studies. However, studies regarding human therapy do not fall under the journal's scope. Contributions regarding recently discovered antibiotics and biologically active microbial products are particularly encouraged. Topics of particular interest within the journal's scope include, but are not limited to, those listed below:
- Discovery of new antibiotics and related types of biologically active substances
- Production, isolation, characterization, structural elucidation, chemical synthesis and derivatization, biological activities, mechanisms of action, and structure-activity relationships of antibiotics and related types of biologically active substances
- Biosynthesis, bioconversion, taxonomy and genetic studies on producing microorganisms, as well as improvement of production of antibiotics and related types of biologically active substances
- Novel physical, chemical, biochemical, microbiological or pharmacological methods for detection, assay, determination, structural elucidation and evaluation of antibiotics and related types of biologically active substances
- Newly found properties, mechanisms of action and resistance-development of antibiotics and related types of biologically active substances
2016 Impact Factor 2.237*
74/158 Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology
145/265 Pharmacology & Pharmacy
*2016 Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Clarivate Analytics, 2017)
Current Contents/Life Sciences
Science Citation Index
Science Citation Index Expanded
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
EBSCO Discovery Service
Summon by Proquest
ISSN and eISSN
The international standard serial number (ISSN) for The Journal of Antibiotics is 0021-8820, and the electronic international standard serial number (eISSN) is 1881-1469.
The Journal of Antibiotics now provides its latest table of contents as an RSS web feed. This allows users with an RSS reader to receive automatic updates whenever new content is added to these pages.
Receive The Journal of Antibiotics's current issue table of contents.
Receive The Journal of Antibiotics's AOP table of contents.
Find out more about RSS feeds, how to download an RSS reader and see all the news feeds offered by Springer Nature.