Announcing the position of Editor-in-Chief for the International Spinal Cord Society (ISCoS) journals: Spinal Cord (SC) & Spinal Cord Series & Cases (SCS&C)
ISCoS is now accepting applications for the position of Editor-in-Chief of SC and SCS&C beginning January 2021.
Educational Qualification of an Editor-in-Chief
The Editor-in-Chief should have an appropriate bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD degree in a discipline related to SCI management and have at least 10 years of experience in their field. They are expected to have a distinguished research and publication record in the field of spinal cord injury and have served on at least one Editorial board although not necessarily SC or SCS&C.
Key Skills expected of the Editor-in-Chief of SC and SCS&C
The basic skill of an Editor-in-Chief is to be proficient in English. Along with this, they are also expected to possess the following important skills sets:
- Verbal and written communication skills: an editor-in-chief bears the responsibility to ensure that all written content is accurate, has good grammar, and syntax
- Creativity:an editor-in-chief is expected to be creative and passionate about finding new ways to expand the journals’ content
- Attention to detail and quality control:an editor-in-chief can spot mistakes and errors, ensuring the writing follows the style of the journals and accepted scientific research standards
- Good judgment and decision making skills:an editor-in-chief decides if the research and its findings are ethical and robust, and if there’s enough evidence to support them
- Time management:an editor-in-chief is expected to manage time and complete the given task within the decided time frame. They will need to work efficiently under pressure with excellent leadership qualities
- Interpersonal skills:an editor-in-chief is required to work closely with key contacts at Springer Nature, all Associate Editors, the ISCoS Executive Board, as well as authors, guiding them in their work, providing feedback and assessment of performance
Essential skills and experience
- A record of leadership demonstrating organisational abilities
- Advanced scientific training and research experience demonstrated by receipt of competitive research grant funding and by publications
- Knowledge of rehabilitation issues on an international level
- Understanding of a broad range of research methods in SCI management
- Editorial experience as a journal editorial board member, section editor, or editor
- Computer literacy
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
Responsibilities include timely review of manuscripts under consideration by the journals, collaborating with the Publisher and the Editorial Boards, participating in regular teleconferences with Springer Nature and ISCoS, and commissioning submissions in areas of interest and scope. The Editor-in-Chief will work closely with ISCoS and Springer Nature on the journal development to raise SC and SCS&C’s impact and advance the field of Spinal Cord medicine.
The future structure of both journals will be developed in collaboration with the EIC as ISCoS and SN are committed to continuing to develop and expand the journals to enable the journals to be the preeminent journals publishing papers related to spinal cord injuries from basic research to lifetime effects, to meet the need of the ISCoS membership, other researchers and readers, and those submitting papers for publication. For more details or to apply for the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appointment to the position includes an annual stipend.
Information to be provided by the potential candidate
- A short summary of their curriculum vitae including key publications, paid and unpaid positions
- A list of appointments as a reviewer, editor or editorial board member, with information on the scope of activities
- A 500 word summary on their vision for the two journals and how they will develop them
The International Spinal Cord Society (ISCoS, formerly IMSoP) promotes the highest standard of care in the practice of spinal cord injury for men, women and children throughout the world. ISCoS endeavours to foster education, research and clinical excellence through its transdisciplinary membership and engagement with people living with spinal cord injuries. ISCoS has a membership of Clinicians and Scientists from 87 countries. They regularly update their knowledge at the Annual Scientific Meeting held in a different country each year. ISCoS is continuously expanding both in membership and new horizons.
Spinal Cord and Spinal Cord Series and Cases are the official Journals of the International Spinal Cord Society and attract publications from clinicians and scientists who work in the field of spinal injuries and spinal cord injuries/dysfunction.
Spinal Cord: https://www.nature.com/sc/
Spinal Cord Series & Cases: https://www.nature.com/scsandc/
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publishers, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Springer Nature is the world's largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world's most influential journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science + Business Media.
Visit: www.springernature.com and follow @SpringerNature