Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Associate Scientist/Scientist, Bioinformatics (Microbiome)
The Biomarker Discovery OMNI department is seeking a motivated, interactive and flexible Associate Scientist/Scientist to support microbiome analysis with a focus on clinical and pre-clinical datasets. The successful candidate will use computational approaches as part of an integrated multi-omics team to investigate the microbiome and microbiome-host interactions, with the goal of identifying and monitoring changes in biomarkers relevant to disease or the identification of novel therapeutic targets. The candidate will be expected to work jointly with the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology group at Genentech, with the potential for a joint appointment in both departments.
For more information on the Keir lab, see https://www.gene.com/scientists/our-scientists/mary-keir
Who You Are
• You have a PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics, microbiology or related field; post-doctoral experience is preferred but not required¬¬
• You have experience working with microbiome datasets and evaluating and implementing metagenomics computational tools (e.g., Kraken, MetaPhlan) as evidenced by publication(s) in the field¬¬
• You have 5+ years of experience in academic or industry laboratory setting
• You can work successfully as the bioinformatics lead in cross-functional teams that contribute to drug and biomarker discovery and development
• You enjoy working closely with other scientists to collaboratively solve complex problems
• You are passionate about applying your analytical skills to understand the disease heterogeneity and pathobiology
• You are comfortable writing code in languages such as R, Python, or Matlab for bioinformatics analysis
• You are able to present complex results both verbally and in writing to both bioinformatics and non-bioinformatics audiences
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.