The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
In Department 4.3, “Quantum Optics and Unit of Length”, of Division 4, we are looking for a
specializing in the research field of optical clocks
to join us as soon as possible.
This position is initially available on the basis of a 3-year fixed-term contract. You will be employed at our Braunschweig site.
The remuneration will be paid in accordance with remuneration group 13 TVöD Bund (85 %).
You will advance our Strontium lattice clock by contributions to the following research topics:
• Characterization of the clock at an uncertainty of 10-18
• Local and international comparisons of optical clocks
• Fundamental investigations like the search for possible variations of fundamental constants or their coupling to dark matter
The project will be conducted in close relation to the Cluster of Excellence 2123 QuantumFrontiers and the collaborative research centre 1227 DQ-mat.
• You have completed university studies in physics with very good success
• You have profound knowledge in quantum optics, laser spectroscopy, laser cooling or related subjects
• You have expertise in atomic physics
• You are interested in optical precision experiments
• You are good at written and spoken German and English
• You have profound communication skills and ability to work in a team
• You have the qualification to carry out independent in-depth scientific work with great commitment and a willingness to learn
The work on these cutting-edge research topics requires expertise at the current state-of-the art in experimental physics. The physical conditions for laboratory work and experiments at external place must be given.
Further information about this position may be obtained from:
Dr. H. Schnatz, Tel.: 0531 592-4300, E-Mail: email@example.com or
PD Dr. C. Lisdat, Tel.: 0531 592-4320, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession. For further information, please see our flyer “Familienfreundliche PTB” (Compatibility of family and profession at PTB) at www.ptb.de/cms/Jobsausbildung.html.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? We are looking forward to hearing from you. Please use our
online application form or send your application to the following postal address:
Reference number 19-052-4
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 19 May 2019.