Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute has an exciting opportunity for a career level Lab Manager to join the laboratory of Dr. Nicole King at the University of California, Berkeley.
The King laboratory studies choanoflagellates, the closest living relatives of animals, to reconstruct animal origins and investigate molecular mechanisms underlying host-microbe interactions. The job will consist of three major components: (1) ensuring that the lab functions smoothly to allow the highest level of science, (2) providing administrative support to Prof. King, and (3) performing/assisting with experiments to support ongoing research priorities. The ideal candidate will take pride and show initiative in finding ways to support the research efforts of the laboratory, in particularly by increasing its organization, efficiency, and productivity. In addition, we seek a candidate who will foster the King lab’s collegial and collaborative working environment.
We seek a highly motivated and exceptionally organized Lab Manager to assist in day-to-day lab operations, including budget management, lab facilities planning, overseeing equipment maintenance, ensuring adequate supplies for experimental needs, recommending improvements for lab processes, assisting Prof. King in personnel management, and managing lab safety programs to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations. The Lab Manager will also work at the bench, collaborating with current lab members on high priority scientific projects and exploring new research topics.
Learn more about our research here: kinglab.berkeley.edu
- Provide a high level of lab support research staff.
- Provide administrative support to Prof. King, including booking travel, scheduling meetings, and handling reimbursement requests.
- Monitor and maintain operational budgets.
- Manage day-to-day lab activities including the maintenance of essential equipment and software, ordering and maintaining adequate supply levels for routine experimental procedures.
- Develop supplier relations.
- Help support recruitment and hiring of lab technicians.
- Maintain databases for chemical, supply, and equipment inventories and other lab organization tools to maintain a highly organized, functioning lab.
- Oversee management of laboratory collections of protocols, lab organisms, and reagents.
- Serve as a liaison between the lab, HHMI, and UC Berkeley administrative offices on issues as budget management, fixed asset inventories, purchasing, etc.
- Enforce laboratory compliance with safety regulations and act as the main contact between campus safety and regulatory offices.
- Perform other laboratory management duties as requested, including scheduling of lab events and organizing lab meetings.
- Identify and implement improvements to lab organization, communication and general lab processes.
- Perform experiments using cell culture, microscopy, genetics, and molecular biology techniques.
- Assist in the development of new techniques.
- Collaborate with lab members on research projects in the lab.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
- Prior experience with choanoflagellates is not expected. Candidates with prior experience in molecular biology or cell culture (using sterile technique) will likely have the necessary skills.
- Ability to review goals, analyze the processes necessary to achieve those goals, and develop techniques and systems required to meet those goals. Initiative in exploring emerging technical and laboratory science and tools, and seeking opportunities to apply new knowledge. Ability to develop and troubleshoot new techniques.
- Candidate must be self-motivated, energetic, able to solve problems and excited to work in a diverse laboratory environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team, build trust and lead teams as necessary.
- In-depth knowledge in the biological sciences and general knowledge in the sciences.
- Knowledge of safety and laboratory procedures.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and decision-making skills. Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy. Excellent computer and record-keeping skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks or projects with competing deadlines.
- Ability to initiate and compose communications for various purposes in an appropriate style.
- Understanding of the unique mission of academic research, which includes education.
- The appointed lab manager will review work with Prof. King at key stages, but will largely be self-directed.
Preferred Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or a related field.
- Five or more years of research or lab management experience.
HHMI is an equal opportunity employer.