MPI-CBG: We are a highly renowned and international research institute focusing on cell, developmental and systems biology using molecular, biophysical and computational approaches to address the question “how cells form tissues and organs”. Systems biology is represented by our new intersectional center “the Center for Systems Biology Dresden” or ‘CSBD’, jointly operated by MPI-CBG together with the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems. About 500 staff currently work at MPI-CBG / CSBD with international scientists coming from 53 nations. MPI-CBG has twice been awarded the title “Best Place to Work” by the journal “The Scientist”.
Head of the Office of the Managing Director: The role of the Head of the Office of the Managing Director is to support the Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director in organizing the institute to provide the optimal environment for research, and to provide general knowledge continuity between Managing Directors as each Managing Director serves a term of only 2 years. The Head of the Office of the Managing Director will be an integral member of the institute’s management team composed of the Managing Director, Deputy Managing Director, COO, Deputy COO, Head of Administration and Head of the Office of the Managing Director. Key roles and responsibilities include:
- overseeing correspondence and requests between the MPI-CBG and Max Planck Headquarters
- preparation of applications for prizes and awards
- preparation of requested policies and plans (gender equality, guidelines for good scientific practice etc)
- support in the preparation of grant requests (Max Planck Centers and initiatives of interest and strategic importance to the MPI-CBG)
- supporting the recruitment of directors, research groups leaders and senior scientific staff
- organizing site visits and interviews of candidates
- organization and management of VIP events and visits (e.g. preparation of the report and visit of the institute’s Scientific Advisory Board ‘SAB’ every 3 years; annual Board of Trustees meeting)
- preparation of the materials and agenda as well as taking minutes for the monthly meeting of the Board of Directors
- following through on action items and the status of decisions made by the Board of Directors
Candidate: You have a background in biology and research preferably with a PhD or MD degree in biology, medicine, biophysics or related life sciences discipline. A BSc in a life science with a higher business degree (e.g. MBA) is also a desirable profile. You will have a minimum of 1-3 years’ experience in supporting management and / or operations of a research institute or equivalent entity. Highly relevant experience in an equivalent research institute can substitute for the scientific background. The institute’s official language is English and perfectly fluent spoken and written English and German are required.
Position and application: The full-time position is available immediately. The initial contract is for 2 years with the expectation of prolongation depending on adequate performance and agreement of both candidate and institute. Salary and social benefits will be in accordance with the regulations of the German TVÖD Bund (salary agreement for public service employees). The MPI-CBG and CSBD aim to increase the number of women in senior scientific appointments. Female candidates are therefore particularly welcome.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Please submit your complete application and CV including a motivational letter, brief description of your professional accomplishments (including publications) together with contact details of three referees as a single pdf file via our online application system stating Code 2019 – HOMD – 1001 at https://recruitingapp-2443.umantis.com/Vacancies/418/Application/CheckLogin/2?lang=eng until the deadline of 17th May 2019.
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
01307 Dresden, Germany