VIB is looking to expand its institute-wide VIB Bioinformatics Core with one bioinformatics tool developer to enhance and integrate VIB’s flagship bioinformatics tools such as PhyD3, Scope, Contra, and SNPEffect. We are looking for a dedicated individual to join the team in Ghent who will jointly work on projects for several Bioinformatics groups at VIB (http://www.vib.be/en/research/scientists/Pages/default.aspx?category=Bioinformatics). Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
The candidate needs to have outstanding communication skills to establish a close working relationship with the bioinformaticians and developers within the VIB Centers and the staff of the VIB Bioinformatics Core. The candidate will split his/her time between various VIB Bioinformatics groups and may be required to travel to all VIB sites (Ghent, Leuven, Brussels, Antwerp, and Hasselt). The close relationship within VIB’s Bioinformatics community will allow the integration of cutting edge bioinformatics solutions aiming at higher visibility of VIB’s bioinformatics achievements. You will participate actively in computational aspects of VIB’s research projects which focus on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms.
The responsibilities include:
- continued development, maintenance, testing and evaluation of VIB’s computational biology tools (often written in different programming environments
- enable relevant VIB software to be maintained long-term
- make "developed @ VIB" a mark of excellence and reliability
- provide an interface between VIB Bioinformatics Core and the bioinformatics community at VIB
- You have a Bachelor or Master’s degree, preferably in informatics, science or engineering.
- You have an avid interest in software development and applied informatics.
- You are eager to acquire new skills under the guidance of experts.
- You can program in an object-oriented programming language, preferably Java or Python.
- You have experience with Linux server administration and with relational databases (e.g., MySQL).
- Experience in of DevOps product development and Cloud environments (e.g. GCE) are an asset.
- You are a team worker, who enjoys solving problems in close collaboration with others.
- Start date: as soon as possible
- International environment in an academic context
- A challenging and stimulating work environment, at the edge of IT technologies and the latest research innovations
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.