UiB – Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Biology/Epidemiology)
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Science, a full-time (100 %) position as Postdoctoral Fellow is available for a period of three (3) years. The position is part of the project ”Prenatal BRCA1 methylation and breast and ovarian cancer risk”, financed by Norwegian Research Council.
About the project/work tasks:
The candidate will be employed in the Translational Cancer Research Group headed by professor Per E. Lønning at the Department of Clinical Science. The research team is also affiliated to the Department of Clinical Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital and the main activities are located at the Mohn Cancer Research Laboratory at the hospital campus. The research team currently employs more than 20 people in total (researchers and technical staff). The team has a strong collaboration with the teams of Senior Researcher Stian Knappskog and Senior Researcher Hans Petter Eikesdal. As a team we try to perform science at supreme quality, with publications in high-impact journals. Thus, the position suits a candidate with high personal ambitions. We employ the full spectrum of molecular analyses, including next generation sequencing (NGS). The laboratory is equipped with state of the art infrastructure for molecular cancer research, including sequencing platforms. The scientific program for the post doc will focus on analysing gene promoter methylation status in respect to carcinogenesis, mainly by using NGS, statistical analyses and data interpretation.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The candidate must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within the field of molecular biology or translational cancer research, alternatively within epidemiology.
- The candidate should preferentially be familiar with NGS techniques and data interpretation.
- The candidate should document experience in applied statistics (statistical methods within research). Experience from analyzing large data sets is an advantage.
- The candidate must have a competitive publication track record relative to the stage of his/her career.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- The candidate should be proficient in both written and oral English and / or the Norwegian language.
- Deep understanding of- and experience from work with epigenetics, gene regulation and/or tumorigenesis will be considered an advantage.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 3 years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work will take place in consultation with the project/centre manager. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The employee may be assigned up to 25 % required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment.
- Salary level 59 (code 1352/pay framework 24.3) at present NOK 515 200 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 61 (code 1352/pay framework 24.5) at present NOK 534100 gross p.a., with a medical specialization level 63 (code 1352/pay framework 24.7) at present NOK 555 100 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- Transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations).
- Complete list of publications.
- Publications (pdf), it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety.
- Two referees (name and contact information).
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Per E. Lønning, e-mail: email@example.com
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.