The Unit for Fish and Shellfish Diseases, DTU National Institute for Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua), Denmark is seeking a biologist or veterinarian with a strong scientific background to take part in the crustacean functions and duties of the European Union Reference Laboratory for Fish and Crustacean Diseases (EURL-Fish and Crustacean). As a consequence of Brexit DTU Aqua were appointed to host the EURL-Crustacean and merge it with its function as the EURL for Fish Diseases from July 1st 2018. The EURL is located in new buildings at the DTU Campus in Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Promote scientific networking and conduct research and development on crustacean diseases
- Research on the control, diagnosis, identification and characterization of crustacean pathogens with focus on the exotic and non-exotic diseases listed in Council Directive 2006/88/EC and on emerging diseases
- Conduct trials with crustaceans in experimental tank facilities
- Organize and report inter-laboratory proficiency tests of listed crustacean diseases
- Together with EURL Fish organize and prepare the Annual Workshops for the National Reference Laboratories for fish and for Crustacean Diseases (NRLs)
- Organizing and preparing international meetings of scientific ad-hoc groups
- Establish and maintain an EURL library of crustacean pathogen isolates
- Consulting for the EU Commission and for National Reference Laboratories
- Training in laboratory diagnostic techniques of crustacean diseases
- Epidemiological analysis and risk assessment on the introduction and emergence of crustacean diseases in EU
The applicant must have a degree in veterinary medicine or natural science and a PhD in a relevant field.
Furthermore you must have:
- Experience with crustacean pathology and molecular techniques is an advantage as is experience with project management. A course certificate in Laboratory animal science, EU Function AD (formerly FELASA category B) or ABD (formerly FELASA Category C) would also be an advantage
- A thorough knowledge of spoken and written English is essential. You will work in close collaboration in a team consisting of 14 academics and 6 technicians, which requires a good ability to co-operate
- A PhD degree (or equivalent) – for the researcher position
- A PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc – for the senior researcher position
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Laboratory skills in molecular methods
- Innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- The ability to communicate at all levels such as the provision of scientific advice to public sector authorities in Europe
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The position as a researcher is a permanent entry-level position. After a maximum of 4 years, a researcher can be promoted to a senior researcher position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Niels Jørgen Olesen, +45 2924 4310, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about the institute at: www.aqua.dtu.dk, and about the EURL Fish Diseases at www.eurl-fish.eu
Please submit your online application no later than 22 April 2019 (local time).
Apply at www.career.dtu.dk
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as senior researcher should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as a Senior Researcher or Researcher.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Aqua—National Institute of Aquatic Resources—is an institute at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). DTU Aqua conducts research, provides advice, educates at university level and contributes to innovation in sustainable exploitation and management of aquatic resources. DTU Aqua deals with all types of aquatic habitats—from the North Atlantic Ocean and European shelf areas to coastal areas and inner Danish waters, ecosystems in lakes and streams as well as aquaculture.
DTU Aqua has about 350 employees, of whom a third are scientific staff. The other employees are assistant biologists, laboratory technicians, administrative staff, ship’s crew, student assistants etc.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 6,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and our 11,200 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.