Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
We currently have an opening for a Part-Time Administrative Coordinator (M-F 1-5p EST, approximately 20 hrs/week) to support the lab of Dr. Sean Eddy at Harvard University. Dr. Eddy’s lab is composed of a strong team of undergraduate students, postdoctoral fellows, technicians, and graduate students who comprise a dynamic research group working on the frontiers of computational genomics. The laboratory develops methods and software tools for large-scale analysis of genes and genomes – and more information about the lab can be found at http://eddylab.org
Due to the fast-paced and computational nature of the work of the lab, ideal candidates are people who thrive in quickly evolving environment and who have a strong ability to multitask. This role is best fit for someone who is a self-starter and proactive in their support style – and someone who is passionate about the research work that the lab is conducting.
Administrative – 80%
- Provide comprehensive administrative support to the Investigator.
- Order laboratory and office supplies, services and equipment. Track and manage service contracts and repairs on laboratory equipment
- Assist with manuscript preparation and submission. Proofread these for grammar and adherence to publications’ policies; manage uploads of accepted papers.
- Draft letters and correspondence.
- Maintain Investigator’s schedule and make domestic and international travel arrangements.
- Coordinate orientation of all new lab members (including scheduling of safety and other required training, arranging for email accounts, IDs and building access).
- Process and track reimbursements from multiple sources for Investigator, laboratory members and visiting scientists.
- Arrange special seminars, lab events, and manage lab meeting schedule.
- Assist with preparation and submission of grant applications and progress reports. Track and monitor all related internal and external deadlines.
- Maintain laboratory’s website – HTML skills are strongly preferred
Host Liaison – 10%
- Act as the primary point of contact (and resource) in the laboratory for HHMI and Harvard University administrative matters
- Work with researchers and Harvard administrators on visa and academic appointment issues
Financial – 10%
- In coordination with portfolio manager, oversee budgets and grants from multiple funding sources.
- A./B.S. and experience in research and/or academic environment.
- Strong writing and advanced computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency with the Mac platform, Microsoft Office and financial applications [e.g. HCOM, Concur].
- Familiarity with the Google suite of products (Calendar, Drive, Gmail, etc)
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use good judgment in working independently, showing initiative, critical thinking, and flexibility.
- Ability to track and manage multiple deadlines and changing priorities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy (and discretion as appropriate) in preparing and handling information.
- Familiarity with grants management and scientific terminology.
- HTML skills or other website management tools/software a plus.
HHMI is an EOE