About the team/job
EMBL is a world-leading life science research organisation with nearly 1700 employees from many nations, who work on six sites near Heidelberg, Barcelona, Cambridge, Grenoble, Hamburg and Rome. Connecting these people with one another, communicating key information, and creating a sense of shared endeavour across the organisation, are the main goals of our internal communications.
We’re looking for a hands-on Internal Communications Officer to take charge of our internal communications channels and to support employee engagement across all our sites. As Internal Communications Officer you will work closely with the Engagement team and other members of EMBL Strategy and Communications, along with a large number of stakeholders throughout the organisation.
The goals and responsibilities of this role include:
- Producing high-quality content for our internal communication channels and coordinating campaigns in collaboration with EMBL’s Content and Design team
- Operating digital communication channels (intranet, digital signage, and other resources) to engage with staff
- Organising events for staff
- Advising and supporting EMBL staff in engaging with colleagues across the organisation, and establishing processes and tools to support these interactions
- Building, maintaining and providing training to a network of internal communications ‘correspondents’ from across EMBL’s six sites, to collate news and information and amplify their dissemination
- Identifying new digital tools and developing new formats for internal communications
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of internal communications activities
- At least one year of experience in an internal communications role, ideally in a scientific or international organisation
- An excellent command of spoken and written English
- The ability to create engaging content
- Experience in working with Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey, Adobe Creative Suite and content management systems
- Good relationship-building skills and the confidence to liaise with senior stakeholders
- A proactive, open and professional attitude
- A passion for science and the ability to communicate confidently and clearly about complex topics
You might also have
- Knowledge of other languages besides English and German, particularly French, Italian or Spanish
- Experience working in an international environment
- Experience in organising events working with distributed teams
Why join us
You will join writers, designers, digital specialists and communicators in the Strategy and Communications team. We’re an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL and beyond. This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. Appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
What else you need to know
In this role you will travel to EMBL’s sites on a regular basis.