For 60 years, HHMI has been moving science forward. We’re an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and science educators with the potential for transformative impact. We invest in people, not projects. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference.
The Technology Support Specialist I’s role is to support computer operation for scientific research, administrative and operational groups using a variety of hardware and operating systems (Macintosh and Windows). This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving a wide range of help requests. Problem resolution will involve the use of diagnostic and help ticketing tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on, customer service-oriented help at the desktop level. This is a 6 month temp-to-hire position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to incoming help requests from users via, phone, e-mail and ticket tracking system in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Document all information pertinent to help requests and their resolution.
- Accurately record and track hardware assets for inventory management purposes.
- Build rapport and proactively elicit problem details from users.
- Prioritize and schedule help requests. Escalate requests (when required) to the appropriate technician or team.
- Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Identify issues that span across multiple teams and collaborate to seek issue resolution.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Provide remote support, including installing and upgrading software, implementing file backups, installing anti-virus software and configuring systems and applications.
- Provide multi-function printer support, including management of the print server, drivers, and MFD supply inventory.
- Provide custom quotes to meet business and scientific needs, image and deploy laptops, desktops and peripherals including displays and printers.
- Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and optimizing of desktops, laptops, printers, and peripherals.
- Write technical documentation for Knowledge Base to be shared internally or published externally to user community.
- Provide mobile device support which entails configuring and managing through MDM.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
In addition to the duties specifically identified by this job description, the position will include other duties if and as assigned by the direct supervisor or others with supervisory authority over this position.
- Bachelor’s degree or two years related work experience including experience with personal computer hardware and software configurations, installation, maintenance, and support in an enterprise environment.
- Related desktop support certifications a plus.
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware, including Apple, Dell and Lenovo.
- Experience with desktop operating systems, including Mac OS and Windows.
- Extensive application support experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge and basic experience with networking including troubleshooting and protocols.
- Knowledge and basic experience with TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, and VPN configurations within an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge and basic experience with Active Directory Users, Computers and Groups.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about work space. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.