About the team/job
Our Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR) consists of several organisational units providing service to EMBL investigators. The Transgenic Service facility provides a wide scope of complex techniques to EMBL researchers to mainly support the generation of genetically modified mice. The Transgenic Mouse Service directly reports to the Scientific Head of LAR.
You will be part of a small-scale, high-standard service facility generating genetically modified mouse lines for EMBL research groups. You will be expected to organize and conduct all daily procedures related to transgenic and knock-in/knock-out mouse production.
- Microinjection of DNA (including large constructs), CRISPR/Cas9 approaches, generation of chimera from targeted ES cells by injection into morula and blastocyst stages.
- Organisation and supervision of breeding colonies of wild-type and mutant mice necessary for the work of the transgenic service under standard operating procedures.
- Cryopreservation of mouse stocks (embryo, sperm freezing).
- Rederivation of in-coming mouse lines into a SPF barrier facility (IVF, embryo transfer).
- Use of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Maintenance and updating of the online transgenic database for tracking work at the facility.
- Establishment and coordination of training activities both internal and external to EMBL in the area of transgenesis.
As our ideal candidate, you should either be a trained technician or have an equivalent education and experience in working with mice and in the generation of genetically modified mice. An extensive and successful hands-on experience in ES cell culture and injection, pronuclear injection of DNA and embryo/sperm cryopreservation is essential. You should be able to work both independently and in close collaboration with the scientists and technicians associated with the transgenic projects. You should be highly motivated and have good communication, project management and organizational skills. English being the working language, good written and spoken command is essential.
You might also have
Knowledge of German is advantageous.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else do you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.