We are looking for a Head of the Advanced Flow Cytometry Facility at the Epigenetics and Neurobiology Unit near Rome, Italy.
You will report to the Head of EMBL Rome and manage a high-standard service facility offering in-house personalized flow cytometric service to EMBL scientists. You will be responsible for maintaining and trouble-shooting the facility instruments and for training users on the equipment (Attune NXT flow cytometer, FACSAria cell sorter, iCELL8 single-cell system, and a Bioplex 200). You will be encouraged to both attend conferences and to assist in instruction of basic and advanced FACS courses organized at the EMBL Heidelberg unit. The position is suitable for pre- or post-doctoral candidates with extensive FACS experience, or for candidates already working within a FACS facility.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the purchase of major equipment and supplies for the flow cytometry facility.
- Assist with experimental design, sample preparation, optimisation of flow cytometry protocols, data generation and analysis, and cell sorting.
- Liaise where necessary with Flow Cytometry resources elsewhere within EMBL.
- Manage a cost-recovery scheme with the utilization of PPMS software.
- Provide Facility users and others with informative seminars on basic and advanced flow cytometry concepts and applications.
- Master degree or PhD in Biology or related subjects.
- Experience and/or training in the application and conduct of flow cytometry practices.
- Demonstrated experience with FACSDiva or related software.
- Understanding of analysis using FlowJo or FCS Express.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent command of English language (written and spoken).
You might also have
- Previous experience in managing a flow cytometry facility.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. Researchers at EMBL Rome take advantage of a full range of core facilities as well as close institutional links with other EMBL sites. The successful candidate will become a full EMBL faculty member, with associated benefits.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
The working language of the Unit is English.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
An initial contract of 3 to 5 years’ duration will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.