Senior Research Assistant
Salary range: £33935 to £41062pa (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leader in genomic research, with an expanding scientific programme dedicated to understanding gene function in health & disease.
Molecular Cytogenetics Core Facility (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/science/groups/molecular-cytogenetics) is looking to recruit a senior research assistant to support the research projects of faculty teams using the state-of-the-art molecular cytogenetic tools. The role involves tissue culture, preparation and labelling of DNA from bacterial cultures and flow-sorted chromosomes, preparation of metaphase spreads, karyotyping, multiplex fluorescence in situ hybridisation (FISH) and digital microscopy. You will be responsible for assay development, interpretation and output of data in specific projects and may also be required to step in for the core facility manager as required.We are looking for a team player who has proven laboratory skills and is able to work independently. You must have excellent communication skills and be able to relay and share complex data to those less experience and knowledgeable than yourselves.
• Laboratory proficiency and independence
• Science degree in biological sciences
• Knowledgeable and skilled in approaches to performing molecular cytogenetic studies
• Experience in performing molecular cytogenetic techniques, basic data analysis and interpretation of the results.
• Experience in tissue culture.
• Expertise in basic molecular biology techniques.
• Capable of day-to-day direction of own research programme.
• Ability to select protocols or to develop new protocols where needed.
• Proven laboratory skills across a range of techniques and protocols and ability and willingness to learn new techniques.
• Excellent communication skills to allow presentation of relatively complex data in simple terms and explain these to others less experienced
• Ability to work within a team
• Good laboratory record keeping
• Supervisory/coaching skills
• Strong people management skills
• Proven skills in scientific writing
• Design FISH probes using Ensembl and UCSC genome browsers
• Experience in health and safety assessment and writing SOPS
• Knowledge and experience in comparative genomics
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
• Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
• Group Income Protection
• Private Health Insurance
• 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
• Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
• Employee Discount Scheme
• Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
• Active Campus Sports and Social Club
• Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date: 3 May 2019