Scope of the research:
Several projects at the intersection of colloidal chemistry, nanomaterials, and materials science pro-vide many research opportunities for a creative and ambitious postdoc. Specifically, projects involve:
(i) Synthesis of plasmonic / catalytic hybrid nanomaterials controlled by molecular aggregation
(ii) Hydrothermal synthesis of semiconducting hybrid nanoparticles in layered materials
(iii) Colloidal self-assembly of functional composite materials
The primary research focus is basic investigation of control over hybrid nanomaterial synthesis by col-loidal chemistry. The final outcome will target applications in photocatalysis towards cost-effective re-newable energy and pollutant degradation. Project will take place at the TUHH in collaboration with the University of Hamburg department of Physical Chemistry and Helmholtz-Center Geesthacht, with ac-cess to advanced instrumentation facilities such as the DESY.
• Studying surfactant assemblies at material interfaces
• Designing organic surface modifications to control inorganic assemblies
• Hierarchical assembly of materials from nano to bulk scale
• Synthesis / exfoliation of ultrathin inorganic materials
• Characterization of composite materials and their photocatalytic properties
• Mentorship of PhD students and engaging with our collaborators
• Written and Oral communication of results via publications and conferences
• Ph.D. with a focus in one or more of the following: Physical Chemistry, Colloidal Chemistry, In-organic Chemistry, Nanoparticle / Nanomaterials Synthesis
• Practical experience in one or more: Inorganic Synthesis, Nanoparticle Assembly, Colloidal In-teractions of Surfactants/Polymers
• Skilled at characterization, particularly electron microscopy (TEM and SEM), knowledge of XRD/SAXS beneficial
• Good written and spoken English and good interpersonal skills.
• Experience and interest in mentoring students
The position is funded at the TV-L E13 pay scale (100%).
If interested, please e-mail your CV and a brief statement of interest to Dr. Eric Hill at email@example.com by April 15, 2019.