About the team/job
The Metabolomics Team is seeking an experienced Software Developer to join the dynamic and international team at the EMBL-EBI in Hinxton, UK.
Metabolomics is the study of small molecule metabolites in the metabolome, which is the complete set of metabolites in a biological sample. By studying these metabolites, we can observe changes in cellular networks and biochemical pathways. This could allow us to detect disease states and their progression, monitor responses to therapy, stratify patients based on biochemical profiles, and highlight targets for drug design. Our team provides the biomedical community with information on metabolism: small molecules and their interplay with biological systems.
We are responsible for MetaboLights, a global public resource for data from metabolomics experiments and derived information. The database is cross-species, cross-technique and covers metabolite structures and their reference spectra as well as their biological roles, locations and concentrations, and experimental data from metabolic experiments. We are also developing a centralised metabolite library and the Metabolomics Labs, a workspace for our community to use up to date and appropriate workflows for metabolomics analysis.
This is an exciting time for the metabolomics field and we as a team are committed to evolving our database and services to support community requirements. One of the newest of these is the need for the opportunity to deposit metabolomics data which requires controlled access e.g. clinical trials studies.
We are looking for an enthusiastic middle tier/backend developer, to help us develop encrypted submission and controlled access capabilities for the MetaboLights database. The post holder will report to the Head of Metabolomics, and will also be part of the team supporting our submitters and users for metabolomics and multi-omics data submission and use.
The post holder will:
- Develop an encrypted data deposition and storage pipeline for controlled access metabolomics data;
- Integrate this pipeline into the MetaboLights online study submission tool to facilitate ease of use by our submitters;
- Make changes to the MetaboLights frontend to facilitate access to controlled data where appropriate;
- Work closely with EMBL-EBI PRIDE and EGA teams so that we can provide a comprehensive multi-omics service.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in computer science or related field,
- Experience working as part of a team;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and fluent in both written and spoken English;
- A self-starter approach, ability to work to deadlines, and have a very detail oriented approach to work;
- Strong experience in software development using Java, Python, SQL and relational databases, Spring and search frameworks (Solr/Elastic), Linux/Unix shell scripting.
You might also have
- A higher degree in computer science or related field;
- Experience in authentication;
- Experience working on open-source projects;
- Experience handling large data volumes (TBs of scientific data);
- Metabolomics knowledge;
- Experience inVersion control systems.
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.